104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry - Harvey - Yankee War dog

Thanks Mike! Will give that a try!
I hope it works for you! I enlarged the photo 200%. Quality didn't deteriorate.
IMG_0324.JPG

A different link to the same book. Easier to scroll!
https://archive.org/stream/historyof104thre00pinn#page/n7/mode/2up

I was the author of a 1984 master's thesis on the 104th "They Stood to their Guns" and am finally working on a full history of the regiment. As part of the project--and in the spirit of Gaskill's "Footprints Through Dixie" I am visiting the locations where the regiment stayed and fought . I am pleased to report that Harvey is prominently featured in the new interpretive signage at the Cotton Gin site on the Franklin battlefield. I look forward to future correspondence with those of you interested in the unit. Thanks for what has been posted so far.

B. Keefer, Assoc. Prof. of History, Kent State Ashtabula

[QUOTE="... I am visiting the locations where the regiment stayed and fought . I am pleased to report that Harvey is prominently featured in the new interpretive signage at the Cotton Gin site on the Franklin battlefield....[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this, DrDarby08. I am doubtful I will have a chance to visit Franklin, but I'm delighted to learn that Harvey is featured there. Here is a photo of his collar that was on display in an exhibit at Franklin that received some media attention in 2014. A close-up view shows his name engraved on a metal plate.

Harvey's collar at Franklin.jpg

Last edited:
https://archive.org/details/historyof104thre00pinn

This is the only thing I can contribute. I am sure you have already seen it. I like the story of Harvey. Where is he buried? Does the painting of him still exist?

He had a wonderful collar. Thanks for posting picture.

You're welcome, @donna! I recall reading, @mofederal, that Harvey "retired" to the old Soldiers' Home at Dayton, Ohio, and was eventually buried on the grounds there. But I don't know whether the precise location is known and marked in some way. Mr. McLemore (@GeneralForrest), do you know if Harvey's grave is marked? Also, since you own the original photo of Harvey that appears on the 104th's reunion badge, are you able to tell whether the collar he's wearing in the photo is the collar displayed at Franklin? Thank you!

Back row, second from the right is CPT David D. Bard, Co. I. Bard was mortally wounded at Franklin, TN, and re-interred in Brimfield, OH. (In a previous life, I was able to edit his letters to Alice Underwood.)

BTW, is this the same collar that stated he was CPT Stearns dog and asked whose dog you are?

I was the author of a 1984 master's thesis on the 104th "They Stood to their Guns" and am finally working on a full history of the regiment. As part of the project--and in the spirit of Gaskill's "Footprints Through Dixie" I am visiting the locations where the regiment stayed and fought . I am pleased to report that Harvey is prominently featured in the new interpretive signage at the Cotton Gin site on the Franklin battlefield. I look forward to future correspondence with those of you interested in the unit. Thanks for what has been posted so far.

B. Keefer, Assoc. Prof. of History, Kent State Ashtabula
Thank you for your correspondence! So awesome that you are working on a full history of the 104th! I so look forward to reading it. I am a novice at this, but I am also working on a project about the history of the 104th but mainly as it applies to my husband's great great grandfather Captain Daniel M. Stearns. Pretty much his personal journey and what he may have participated in and saw. My project started when we found letters written by him during his service in the Civil War. Not a lot of them, 15 to be exact. They were kept safe and sound by my mother-in-law (who has since passed away) who was Daniel's great granddaughter. I have been trying to find other letters and Daniel's journal but have not been successful. Gakill's " Footprints Through Dixie" has provided a wealth of information to help me with my little project. Looking forward to corresponding with you.

https://archive.org/details/historyof104thre00pinn

This is the only thing I can contribute. I am sure you have already seen it. I like the story of Harvey. Where is he buried? Does the painting of him still exist?
I am not sure where he is buried but I am pretty sure that Harvey went home with his owner Captain Daniel M. Stearns of the 104th OVI. When Daniel Stearns returned home, he had trouble adjusting to civilian life. I guess you could say he suffered from PTSD. In later years, his wife was trying to get an invalid pension. Family friends stated that Daniel spent most of his time talking to his white bull dog when he returned home. I am assuming this was Harvey.

Back row, second from the right is CPT David D. Bard, Co. I. Bard was mortally wounded at Franklin, TN, and re-interred in Brimfield, OH. (In a previous life, I was able to edit his letters to Alice Underwood.)

BTW, is this the same collar that stated he was CPT Stearns dog and asked whose dog you are?
I believe it is the same collar.

I am not sure where he is buried but I am pretty sure that Harvey went home with his owner Captain Daniel M. Stearns of the 104th OVI. When Daniel Stearns returned home, he had trouble adjusting to civilian life. I guess you could say he suffered from PTSD. In later years, his wife was trying to get an invalid pension. Family friends stated that Daniel spent most of his time talking to his white bull dog when he returned home. I am assuming this was Harvey.

Thank you, @Sscul2. It sounds like Harvey continued to be a comfort to Sgt. Stearns.

Actually, I believe Captain David D. Bard is in the 2nd row third from the left...#9 standing between #4 and #13. There is speculation, but not verified, that the soldier in the back row, second from the right is Lieutenant Daniel M. Stearns.

That portrait of Old Harvey shown in the photograph in @lelliott19 's post #13, was painted by Louis Ransom.
harvey.jpeg
It was presented to Akron's Buckley Post No.11, G.A.R., on July 10, 1885. The Summit County Beacon of July 22nd reports:

Summit_County_Beacon_1885-07-22_[5] - Edited (3).png
I wonder where the painting is today, if it still exists. SUVCW reports Buckley Post records being preserved in three different Ohio libraries. Might one of them also have Old Harvey's portrait?

Back