CWTrust 10 Acres saved at Brandy Station

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Expired Image Removed
I have wonderful news to share. A few months ago, we asked for your help to save 10 critical acres at Brandy Station battlefield’s Fleetwood Hill. This land—at the heart of the largest cavalry battle fought in North America—is as important as any ground at Brandy Station. The site is located directly across the street from 56 acres that you and I helped save and restore in 2015.

Now, thanks to the generosity of members like you, we can declare victory. Together, we have preserved this crucial piece of hallowed ground forever. These 10 acres will be added to the more than 1,900 acres we have saved at Brandy Station—a truly remarkable legacy.

I am honored to celebrate this important victory with you. We’ve saved more land at Brandy Station than we have at any other battlefield. Our continued achievements are due entirely to the fortitude and commitment of our supporters. Together, we are doing great work to preserve battlefield land fundamental to our nation’s history.

Expired Image Removed
I am humbled by your generosity,
Jim Lighthizer

There's an interesting story about this parcel.

This parcel is the house and acreage formerly owned by B. and Page Mitchell. B was one of the founders of the Brandy Station Foundation--back when it was actually a preservation organization-and B was the BSF's second president. The BSF was actually formed in the kitchen of that house. You would be hard-pressed to find folks more dedicated to the preservation of that battlefield than the Mitchells.

B died a few years back, and due to medical issues, Page is now a permanent resident of a nursing home. The Mitchells had always wanted this land to be preserved and to be part of the saved ground at Brandy Station, and it has now come to pass. And hopefully the money will help to pay for Page's care.

The property is directly across Fleetwood Heights Road from the UDC marker on Fleetwood Hill. Col. P.M.B. Young led the desperate charge of the Cobb Legion Cavalry across this ground. It's critical core battlefield land, and securing it is a big deal.

There are more significant acquisitions yet to come at Brandy Station. As I can discuss them with you, I will. Stay tuned.

And thank you to anyone who donated money to make this acquisition possible.

There's an interesting story about this parcel.

This parcel is the house and acreage formerly owned by B. and Page Mitchell. B was one of the founders of the Brandy Station Foundation--back when it was actually a preservation organization-and B was the BSF's second president. The BSF was actually formed in the kitchen of that house. You would be hard-pressed to find folks more dedicated to the preservation of that battlefield than the Mitchells.

B died a few years back, and due to medical issues, Page is now a permanent resident of a nursing home. The Mitchells had always wanted this land to be preserved and to be part of the saved ground at Brandy Station, and it has now come to pass. And hopefully the money will help to pay for Page's care.

The property is directly across Fleetwood Heights Road from the UDC marker on Fleetwood Hill. Col. P.M.B. Young led the desperate charge of the Cobb Legion Cavalry across this ground. It's critical core battlefield land, and securing it is a big deal.

There are more significant acquisitions yet to come at Brandy Station. As I can discuss them with you, I will. Stay tuned.

And thank you to anyone who donated money to make this acquisition possible.

Thanks for that bit of inside information. I contributed to this acquisition but didn't know anything about the Mitchells. It makes me feel good to know that not only did we succeed in preserving the property but have also helped out a good person.

Thanks for that bit of inside information. I contributed to this acquisition but didn't know anything about the Mitchells. It makes me feel good to know that not only did we succeed in preserving the property but have also helped out a good person.

My pleasure. I thought that giving the back story might change how this is perceived.

And thank you for donating.

My pleasure. I thought that giving the back story might change how this is perceived.

And thank you for donating.

I've been a supporter of the Trust for some time now. I don't have any kids and I won't be around to enjoy giving away my estate so I give some each year to a small group of causes I support. The Trust is the only non-local one. I just hope that it's a maybe slightly better world because of it.

If not then I at least got some T-shirts and a couple of nice letters from my close personal friend Jim.:whistling:

Back