Trivia 10-7-16 Name the Monument & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular question: The Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. The Monument's designer, Moses Ezekiel, is buried at its base.

Bonus: I'm not aware of any officer during the Civil War who became a "full general" / 4 star general, especially promoted from private to full general in one jump. Now if the question is using the term "full general" to mean pay grade/real rank as opposed to a brevet then Francis Barlow fits some of the criteria of the bonus question. Francis Barlow is my answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Name this monument and its location.

Confederate Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington County, VA

2. Who is buried at the base of this monument?

Moses Ezekiel
Lieutenant Harry C. Marmaduke
Captain John M. Hickey
Brigadier General Marcus J Wright

Bonus:

I was first a 2nd Lieutenant .,...... then a Full General. Who am I?

Albert Sydney Johnson

1. Name this monument and its location.

Confederate Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington County, VA

2. Who is buried at the base of this monument?

Moses Ezekiel
Lieutenant Harry C. Marmaduke
Captain John M. Hickey
Brigadier General Marcus J Wright

Bonus:

I was first a 2nd Lieutenant .,...... then a Full General. Who am I?

Albert Sydney Johnston

added post with correct spelling of A S Johnston

1. Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery
2. Moses Ezekiel (1844-1917; VMI Cadet and sculptor) "He was interred at the foot of one of his other great works, the Confederate Memorial, in Section 16 of Arlington National Cemetery." http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/moses-ezekiel.html

BONUS:
The closest I can find is Albert Sidney Johnston.
Almost everything matches - 2nd Lieutenant US, then a private (Republic of Texas), then a Colonel (Republic of Texas), then a Brigadier General (Republic of Texas), then a Colonel (US 1st Texas Rifle Vols; Mexican/Am War), then a Major (paymaster US), then a Brigadier General (bvt US), then a Private (?), then a Full General (CSA) But I am unable to find record that he was a private after resigning his commission as a Brig Genl in the US Army (April 9, 1861) and prior to being commissioned a Full General in the Confederate Army (to rank May 31, 1861.) He's the closest I can find though, so that's my final answer.
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/americancivilwar/p/asjohnston.htm

Answer:
1. Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery

2. In addition to Moses Ezekiel, three other Confederate soldiers are buried at the base of the monument. They are Lt. Harry C. Marmaduke who served in the Confederate Navy, Capt. John M. Hickey of the Second Missouri Infantry and Brig. Gen. Marcus J. Wright who commanded brigades at Shiloh and Chickamauga.

Source: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/Monuments-and-Memorials/Confederate-Memorial

bonus: Albert Sydney Johnston

Edit - The main question asked who was buried at the base of the monument, but did not specify that it was asking for four names. In the linked article, Moses Ezekiel's name is the first one mentioned as being buried at the base of the monument, while the names of the other three do not appear until the last paragraph.

Players may be excused for thinking that when they found Moses Ezekiel's name, they had found the correct answer, so I will give credit to those who answered Moses Ezekiel without naming the other three.

To the best of my knowledge, during the Civil War, the rank of Full General existed only in the Confederate Army. MajGenl.Meade's post #8 gives an excellent summary of Albert Sidney Johnston's rank history.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back