Trivia 10-31-18 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was a former Confederate General who was captured at Vicksburg and served during the Atlanta campaign with the Army of Tennessee. After the War, I taught at a major Southern University and later buried in the same town. Who am I?

credit: @Ole Miss

John Creed Moore

Edit - Moore was a general and he was captured at Vicksburg. After being paroled, he served with Hardee during the Chattanooga Campaign, but after disputes with Hardee, Moore resigned his commission in February, 1864, several months before the Atlanta Campaign started. After the war, Moore taught at schools in a number of locations, including Osage, TX, where he is buried, but I find no indication that the school in Osage should be considered to have been a university.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a former Confederate General who was captured at Vicksburg and served during the Atlanta campaign with the Army of Tennessee. After the War, I taught at a major Southern University and later buried in the same town. Who am I?

credit: @Ole Miss
Francis Asbury Shoup (1834-1896). A lawyer from Indiana, Shoup moved to Florida in 1860 and joined the rebel cause at the outbreak of hostilities. In 1862 he was promoted to Brigadier General. He was captured at Vicksburg, paroled and served in the Army of Tennessee, eventually becoming John B. Hood's Chief of Staff.
Following the war, he taught at the University of Mississippi and, later, the University of the South. After his death, he was buried at Sewanee, Tennessee in the cemetery of the University of the South.

I am a little unsure of the correct answer because a couple of folks might fit the bill.

I suspect Francis A. Shoup is the desired answer, though. A Hoosier, West Point grad, and attorney, he fought for the Confederacy, was captured at Vicksburg, and served during the Atlanta campaign. After the war, he taught at both Ole Miss and the University of the South. He is buried on the University of the South's campus at Sewanee, Tennessee.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8830/francis-asbury-shoup

Another man, Stephen D. Lee, was also a Confederate general who was captured at Vicksburg and later participated in the Atlanta campaign. After the war, he served as the first president of what is now Mississippi State. However, I see no indication that he taught there. Interestingly enough, he died at Vicksburg, but he is buried in Columbus, Mississippi, which is not connected to Mississippi State from what I can tell.

So, my tentative final answer is Shoup.

My guess is Stephen Dill Lee who was the youngest officer promoted to Lieutenant General in the Confederate Army on June 23, 1864. After his parole from Vicksburg, he was commander of the Second Corps in the Army of the Tennessee during the Atlanta Campaign. After the war, he was a state senator and then became the first President of Mississippi State University and was buried in Vicksburg, Mississippi. David.

Edit - See edit to post # 36.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back