Trivia 10-22-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure - but I think the question is asking 3 things -

Full Name(s) of the Original Document - Since it’s a plural names and it seems like he was busy writing lots of philosophies for army conduct, but his first report to General Hallock in the spring of 1862 was titled - “Guerrilla Parties Considered With Reference to the Laws and Usages of War”and according to Wikipedia General Hallock had 5,000 copies of this printed. By 1863 the Union Army adopted, the official recommendations - according to the 1st source, and it was called: “Instructions for the Government of the Armies of the United States in the Field”, but in 2nd source the word Instructions is changed to “Code”.
Give the original order (number??) - Special Order 399 (December 17, 1862 pages 18-19 of 1st source - the order which formed the group that was responsible for the eventual publication).
Give the Number of the General Order by Which it was Widely Known - General Orders #100 - “Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States In the Field”.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/2186282.pdf
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Francis-Lieber

Oh, dear, we seem to have several original documents. However, I will ignore the two titles for Lieber's lectures at what later became Columbia University Law School.
Per wikipedia, "Lieber Code":
"After Halleck became general-in-chief in July, 1862, he solicited Lieber's views. The professor responded with a report, "Guerilla Parties Considered With Reference to the Laws and Usages of War", and Halleck ordered 5000 copies printed.[4]"
More from the same wikipedia article:
"The Lieber Code of April 24, 1863, also known as Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field, General Order № 100,[1][2] or Lieber Instructions, was an instruction signed by US President Abraham Lincoln to the UnionForces of the United States. . ."

The full name of the original document was "International Law, or, Rules Regulating the Intercourse of States in Peace and War." (quite a mouthful)

The full name of the order was "Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field." (not quite as long, but still a mouthful)

It was General Order No. 100.

Citation: www.gutenberg.org/files/53699/53699-h/53699-h.htm
Add to original title the words.... "As authorized by the laws and usages of war on land.

code.jpg

Second addendum: Add Special Orders No. 399 "To propose amendments or changes in the rules and articles of war"

Edit - Special Order No. 399 did not promulgate the Lieber Code. It called for the formation of a board and that board, which included Lieber as a member, eventually proposed that the Lieber Code be promulgated. Lincoln followed the board's recommendation.

However, since your earlier post mentioned General Order No. 100, you get credit for a correct answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:

The Lieber Code of April 24, 1863, also known as "Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field", (General Order № 100), and also known as "Code for the Government of Armies in the Field" (1863), or Lieber Instructions, was an instruction signed by US President Abraham Lincoln to the Union Forces of the United States during the American Civil War that dictated how soldiers should conduct themselves in wartime. Its name reflects its author, the German-American legal scholar and political philosopher Franz Lieber.

President Abraham Lincoln issued “General Orders No. 100: Instructions for the Government of the Armies of the United States in the Field,” commonly known as the “Lieber Code” after its main author Francis (Franz) Lieber.
Original-- A Code for the Government of Armies in the Field, as Authorized by the Laws and Usages of War on Land (1863)
Source: http://www.anb.org/view/10.1093/anb/9780198606697.001.0001/anb-9780198606697-e-1400365

I'm slightly confused with the required answers to the question so I will answer this way:

1. The original document was known as "INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES IN THE FIELD" and the original order was:
"GENERAL ORDERS,
WAR DEPARTMENT, ADJUTANT GENERAL'S OFFICE, No. 100. Washington, April/24, 1863
The following ' Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field, ' prepared by FRANCIS LIEBER, LL.D., and revised by a Board of Officers, of which Major General E. A. HITCHCOCK is president, having been approved by the President of the United States, he commands that they be published for the information of all concerned. By ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR: E. D. TOWNSEND, Assistant Adjutant General."

2. The General Order number was General Orders No. 100

After spending my second day on this and finding no reference to any title change, I have decided (or hoping) that I may be over thinking this.

The original name of the document was "Instructions for the Government of the Armies of the United States in the Field". I found one reference to the same without the "of the United States" but it was a reference in passing and appeared to be an author just taking a shortcut. It was promulgated as General Order No 100. It was ordered under Special Order no 399 where Lieber and some generals were commissioned to change/amend the "Rules and Articles of War".

Source

I`m not sure, I hope you´re looking for A Code for the Government of Armies in the Field, as authorized by the Laws and Usages of War on Land which Lieber used for his draft in February 1863. In the end it became General Order 100, being titled Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field.

Answers:
  • Code for the Government of Armies in the Field (document)
  • Instructions for the Government of Armies of the United States in the Field (order)
  • General order 100
Sources:
Edit - My apologies for being late in scoring this question. I simply had no time on either Wednesday or Thursday to score questions in the game, due to the fact that my son had to undergo surgery (which, I am happy to say, he came through very well).

Now that I look at the answers, it is clear to both Faraway Friend and me that many players had trouble understanding that the question was asking for two different names, neither of which should be "Lieber Code" or "Lieber Instructions," in addition to the number of the General Order under which it was issued.

For that reason, I'm going to score the question as a one-part question, based strictly on the number of the General Order. Answers which mention General Order No. 100 will be scored as correct.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back