Trivia 10-17-18 The Great Chase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent parody @DBF !!! I enjoyed it greatly!

I'm guessing this one could reference a variety of similar situations - but since you said "the mules are getting weak," I'm gonna go with Forrest's pursuit and capture of "Streight's Mule Brigade" in April-May 1863.
The officers described would be:
1. Col Abel Delos Streight
2. Brig Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest

The latter part of the poem, talking about the Confederate officer, says "The countryside is mine," which makes me think of John Singleton Mosby, since an area of Virginia was referred to as Mosby's Confederacy.

Mosby once captured Union General Edwin Stoughton, but Stoughton and his forces weren't really moving around much, so the description of the Union officer as riding and hiding and running and pushing on doesn't sound much like Stoughton. However, although I assume Mosby did capture other Union officers and send them to Libby Prison, I can't find any names of any other notable officers that he captured.

So I'll go with Mosby and Stoughton, but I'll be surprised if that's the correct answer. :nah disagree:

Last edited:
i'm going to throw the towel on thisone
  • i knew about the beverly hillbillies but that's it about that
  • i did run the names clampett, bodine, drysdale and hathaway (found on wiki), though
  • some yank is running from some reb through reb territory
  • said territory is woodland (who would have thunk it?)
  • those who survive it will be going to libby pov camp
that's just not enough for me to run with

Answer & Chorus:

Abel Streight" is first he would not get his way,
He would have to pay the price and fight another day.
The victory was over - the party had begun
Devil Forrest” is the wily Son-of-a-Gun.

Source: http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1380

Edit - This question qualifies as a riddle, so the official answer is the only one that will be accepted. I never heard of the jackass cavalry, but it certainly fits the clue about "mules."

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back