Trivia 10-10-17 The last will be the first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jefferson Finis Davis (abt. 1808 - 1889)
privacy60.png

source: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Davis-4

I never knew the precise year of my birth. I once observed: "Having once supposed the year to have been 1807, I was subsequently corrected by being informed it was 1808 and have rested upon that point because it was just as good, and no better than another". I was the 10th child of my parents and my Mom Jane, then 46 years old, and Dad Samuel decided that I should be their last. They gave me a middle name that expressed that wish. Who am I and what was my middle name?

credit: @FarawayFriend
You are Jefferson Davis, your middle name is not really known, some people think that your middle name was Finis but nobody knows for sure. Jefferson F Davis.

Edit - I'll give you credit for this answer. When a question asks for a person's middle name, you should generally answer on the assumption that the questioner believes that the person actually had a middle name.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
None other than Confederate President Jefferson Finis Davis

https://jeffersondavis.rice.edu/about-jefferson-davis
From that site:
Birthdate

It is unclear whether Davis was born in 1807 or 1808, and Davis himself was unsure. He wrote an acquaintance in 1858 that "there has been some controversy about the year of my birth among the older members of my family, and I am not a competent witness in the case, having once supposed the year to have been 1807, I was subsequently corrected by being informed it was 1808, and have rested upon that point because it was just as good, and no better than another." For more background on the date question, see The Papers of Jefferson Davis, Volume 1, pages lxv-lxvi.

Middle Name
From November 30, 1824, until mid-1833, Jefferson Davis' name on official lists and at times his signature included the middle initial "F." The name is not spelled out in full in any known document. In his story of Davis' life, Hudson Strode claimed that the final son born to Samuel and Jane Davis was given the middle name "Finis" because "it seemed unlikely that Jane Davis would ever bear another child" (Jefferson Davis: American Patriot, p. 3). The "Finis" myth has been repeated so often that it has become accepted as fact by many scholarly resources, but there is no evidence for it. All of Jefferson Davis' siblings had traditional names.

Perhaps equally curious is the sudden appearance and just as sudden disappearance of the middle initial. Davis had been at West Point for at least three months before it showed up for the first time, on a monthly conduct report. The last known "J. F. Davis" signature is on a note of October 3, 1832, notifying his commanding officer of his acceptance of a furlough. As of the publication of Davis' appointment as second lieutenant of Dragoons on May 4, 1833, the "F." had disappeared from official documents as well. At the time the initial was in use, there were no other Davis officers with the given name Jefferson (Jefferson C. Davis, a Union general in the Civil War, did not enlist until 1846), so it is unlikely the young cadet was trying to avoid mistaken identity. Only two other officers named Davis with the first initial "J." were in the army from 1824-1833, and one of them died in 1828. It should be noted that the "F." was used on Davis' first marriage license (June 17, 1835), although he signed the document without the "F." The initial was not used on his second marriage license ten years later.

Jefferson Davis' signature and the listing of his name on official documents may be traced in the first volume of The Papers of Jefferson Davis, which includes all known documents from Davis' birth through 1840.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back