Trivia 1-9-19 He's a Poet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question! Never heard of this guy before, but I'm curious about his work now.

1. Henry Timrod
2. 20th SC [I found one random source that said the 30th SC, but I think that was a typo since I can't find a 30th SC in existence. Found his CSR with the 20th on Fold 3.]
3. Charleston Mercury [Note: he seems to have worked for other papers, during and after the war, but this seems to be the one where he was specifically a war correspondent.]

Source 1
Source 2, pages 516-522
Source 3

1. Henry Timrod
2. private in Company B, 20th South Carolina Infantry
3. After the bloody Battle of Shiloh, he tried as a western war correspondent for the Charleston Mercury, but this too was short lived as he was not strong enough for the rugged task. He returned from the front and settled in Columbia, South Carolina, to become associate editor of the South Carolinian, a daily newspaper.

The poem excerpt is from “The Two armies”, published in Southern Illustrated News May 30, 1863, and is by Henry Timrod.

On March 1, 1862, Timrod enlisted into the military as a private in Company B, 20th South Carolina Regiment, and was detailed for special duty as a clerk at regimental headquarters, but his tuberculosis prevented much service, and he was sent home. After the bloody Battle of Shiloh, he tried again to live the camp life as a western war correspondent for the Charleston Mercury, but this too was short lived as he was not strong enough for the rugged task.

1547124352161.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back