Trivia 1-7-19 What's the Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from writing the "Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen" she was also an advocate of abolition and authored an abolitionist drama "Zamore et Mirza" or "L'esclavage des Negres". So her connection to the Civil War must be the abolitionist movement.
https://www.iep.utm.edu/gouges/

Interesting woman!

Edit - Your statement is true, but it's not the answer we were looking for.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
The only link I can make, a tenuous link at that, is that Olympe de Gouges was an abolitionist who wrote about the condition of slaves in the French colonies.
Great question but not, I fear, a good start for me to the new month. Stumped already.

hoosier

Thank you, @Zella, for alerting us to this most interesting woman, of whom I had not previously heard, despite having majored in French literature!

Per http://www.worldjournal.org/articles/Olympe_de_Gouges:
"After her death, says Olivier Blanc,[8] her son General Pierre Aubry de Gouges went to Guyana with his wife and five children. He died in 1802, after which his widow attempted to return to France, but died aboard the ship during her return. In Guadeloupe, the two young daughters were married, Marie Hyacinthe Geneviève de Gouges to an English officer (Captain William Wood), and Charlotte de Gouges to an American politician Robert Selden Garnett, a member of the United States Congress who had plantations in Virginia. Hence, many English and American families have Olympe de Gouges as their ancestor" [emphasis mine]

One of their children, also Robert Selden Garnett, became a CSA brigadier general and was the first general officer killed in the American Civil War. Per wikipedia, "Robert S. Garnett" and "Robert S. Garnett (congressman)"

After exploring a number of similarities between the execution of Olympe de Gouges and the execution of Mary Surratt (aka "rabbit holes" :D) I believe I will stick with the simple genealogical link as my final answer.

Olympe de Gouges was the great-grandmother of Brigadier General Robert S. Garnett (CSA).
Olympe de Gouges>> Pierre Aubry de Gouges (her son) >> Charlotte Olympia De Gougea (her grand daughter) >> Robert Selden Garnett (16 December 1819 – 13 July 1861; her great grandson)

She was very vocal against slavery and one of her plays was blamed for inciting a slave rebellion in Saint-Domingue (Haiti). As the fears of slave uprisings in the American south grew, this island was often referred to. "San Domingo" was used to express fears of Southern whites of a slave rebellion breaking out in their own region.

hoosier

This probably isn't the answer the author of the question has in mind, but it's the only thing I can find.

De Gouges was the first French woman of any prominence to call for the abolition of slavery.

Edit - Not the answer the question was looking for.

hoosier

Last edited:
She was the great-grandmother of Confederate General Robert Selden Garnett. He was the first general to die in the American Civil War and also was first cousin of Richard Garnett of Pickett's Charge fame.
Sources:
https://www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=993
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/84791850/charlotte-olympia-garnett (for Robert's French-born mother, de Gouges' granddaughter)

Edit - It appears that a number of players were tripped up by the fact that the Civil War general's father was also named Robert Selden Garnett. Robert Selden Garnett Sr. was Olympe de Gouges' grandson, but the general, Robert Selden Garnett Jr., was her great-grandson.

A number of players (including myself) answered that Ms. de Gouges was an abolitionist. While it could be argued that anyone who ever expressed abolitionist views could be regarded as having a connection to the Civil War, it could also be argued that anyone who ever expressed pro-slavery views could be equally well regarded as having a connection to the Civil War. In my judgment, this connection isn't strong enough to count as a correct answer.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back