1-29-21 & nothing exciting happend in January Bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Primary Question: Credit for Submission

Bonus: During Gen James H Wilson's raid into Alabama and Georgia Between March 22 and April 20, 1865 how many Confederate flags did his troops capture ?

In his after-action report, brevet MG J.H. Wilson provided a list of the enemy stands of colors captured during his raid through Alabama and Georgia. The list is comprised of 24 stands of colors and the circumstances of the capture of each one. However, this list has to be down-graded to arrive at the number of Confederate flags captured. One is described as a Palmetto flag (state flag of South Carolina; not a Confederate flag in the true sense of the word), two others are U.S. flags (regimental colors) the Confederates captured at Etowah Creek, Georgia.

After this adjustment, the number of Confederate flags captured during the raid is 21.

Source: War of The Rebellion, Serial 103, Page 0398, https://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/103/0398

Edit - Rather than get into a debate about whether the Palmetto flag should or should not be considered a Confederate flag, I will accept this answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
During her career as a Confederate Raider, the CSS Shenandoah captured 38 vessels during the period October 1864 and June 1865. Of these, 6 were bonded (a legally binding document issued as a promise for future payment for the safety and the release of a captured marine vessel); the other 32 were destroyed.
What was the name of the first vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah? and What was the name of the last vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah?

credit: @warbird43

Bonus: During Gen James H Wilson's raid into Alabama and Georgia Between March 22 and April 20, 1865 how many Confederate Flags did his troops capture.

credit: @ucvrelics

Mogul -- beats me about the flags!

What was the name of the first vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah? Cargo bark Alina (October 28, 1864).
What was the name of the last vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah? Whaling bark Covington (June 28, 1865).

The source linked below states the whaling bark Waverly was the last prize destroyed. The book Last Flag Down indicates it was the Covington. I'll go with Covington.

Alina (a cargo bark scuttled south of the Azores, west of Dakar on October 30, 1864)
Waverly (whaling bark of New Bedford burned near the Diomede Islands on June 28, 1865)
Source: "CSS Shenandoah" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Shenandoah

bonus Answer: 24

Source: Official Records.

J. H. WILSON,
Brevet Major-General.
HDQRS. CAVALRY CORPS, MIL. DIV. OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
Macon, Ga., May 16, 1865.
GENERAL: I have the honor to transmit herewith twenty-four stand of colors, captured from the enemy during the late campaign in Alabama and Georgia, with the circumstances connected with the capture of each.

Edit - There is at least one source indicating that the Covington was taken after the Waverly, so I am accepting that as a correct answer for the last ship destroyed by the Shenandoah.

I am accepting 21, 22, 23, and 24 as correct answers for the number of Confederate flags taken. The most popular source cited was the article from the history department at The Ohio State University, which began on page 398 and continued on page 399.

Some players answered with 16 or 18. When I looked for this answer myself, my search led me directly to page 399, which lists flags numbered 7 through 24. That's eighteen flags, and two of them were U. S. flags, so if you subtract two from 18 that gives 16. However, these numbers fail to account for the six flags listed on page 398. Therefore, the answers of 16 and 18 are incorrect.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back