1-29-21 & nothing exciting happend in January Bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
During her career as a Confederate Raider, the CSS Shenandoah captured 38 vessels during the period October 1864 and June 1865. Of these, 6 were bonded (a legally binding document issued as a promise for future payment for the safety and the release of a captured marine vessel); the other 32 were destroyed.
What was the name of the first vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah? and What was the name of the last vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah?

credit: @warbird43

Bonus: During Gen James H Wilson's raid into Alabama and Georgia Between March 22 and April 20, 1865 how many Confederate Flags did his troops capture.

credit: @ucvrelics

NFB22

Sergeant Major
The Alina was scuttled in October 1864 becoming the first casualty, the last I'm going to guess Waverly because it was the furthest ship south to be burned during its last purge on whalers in June of 1865.

Bonus: Per the attached news article from the NYT in December, 1865, 23 "strands of colors" were captured.

Brenal

Sergeant Major
The first was Alina, a cargo bark on her maiden voyage from Maine to Buenos Aires with a cargo of railway iron, scuttled by Shenandoah's crew 30th October 1864.
The last was Covington, a Rhode Island Whaler, burnt on 28th June 1865.
Source: "Last Flag Down" by John Baldwin and Ron Powers and "The Last Shot" by Lynn Schooler

Bonus: Tricky, I make it

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular question:

According to the Wikipedia article about CSS Shenandoah, the first ship destroyed (by scuttling, that is deliberately made to sink by allowing water to flow into the hull) was the cargo bark Alina
The last ship destroyed was the whaling bark Waverly by burning.
  • 28–38. June 28: on this last and busiest day of captures, the whaler Brunswick is burned near Bering Strait Narrows; the whaling bark Congress of New Bedford is burned near Bering Strait; the whaling bark Covington of Warren, Rhode Island is burned in East Cape Bay near Bering Strait Narrows; the whaling ships Favorite of New Haven and Hillman, Isaac Howland, Martha and Nassau of New Bedford are burned in East Cape Bay; the whaling bark Waverly of New Bedford is burned near the Diomede Islands; the whaling ship James Maury of New Bedford is bonded for $37,600 in East Cape Bay and retained for transporting prisoners to the United States; and finally, the whaling bark Nile of New Bedford is bonded for $41,000, loaded with 222 prisoners, and sent off to San Francisco.

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
"Nothing exciting" bonus (which was so difficult, it got me excited when I found what I think is the right answer...)

24 Confederate flags were captured during Wilson's Raid

Snip-it_1611943981843.jpg

Source::

Bonus: According to O.R.--SERIES I--VOL. XLIX/1 [S# 103] MARCH 22-APRIL 24, 1865.--Wilson's Raid from Chickasaw to Selma, Ala. Here is what is the only mention stated in the report-- "the 16th of April, La Grange captured Fort Tyler, at West Point, above Columbus on the Chattahoochee, after assaulting it on three sides, the defense being stubborn. Three hundred prisoners, 3 guns, and several battle-flags were taken, besides a large quantity of supplies."
This of course details all the military value targets destroyed and captured along with prisoners captured. Most skirmishes took place against untrained troops except for the ones against Forrest. This is only reference in the O.R. of battle flags.
source: http://www.aotc.net/selma-rep.htm

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
During her career as a Confederate Raider, the CSS Shenandoah captured 38 vessels during the period October 1864 and June 1865. Of these, 6 were bonded (a legally binding document issued as a promise for future payment for the safety and the release of a captured marine vessel); the other 32 were destroyed.
What was the name of the first vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah? and What was the name of the last vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah?

credit: @warbird43
What was the name of the first vessel destroyed by the Shenandoah?
The bark Alina, 574 tons, out of Searsport, Maine, captured then scuttled south of the Azores and west of Dakar, October 30, 1864.
What was the name of the last vessel
destroyed by the Shenandoah?

The bark Waverly, 327 tons, a whaler out of New Bedford, Massachusetts, captured and burned near the Diomede Islands, June 28, 1865.

Source: Paul J. Marcello, "Shenandoah 1864-1865", Naval History and Heritage Command.
Shenandoah (navy.mil)
Bonus: During Gen James H Wilson's raid into Alabama and Georgia Between March 22 and April 20, 1865 how many Confederate Flags did his troops capture.

credit: @ucvrelics
"Twenty-four stand of colors"
Source:
J. H. Wilson, Brevet Major-General Commanding, "
War of the Rebellion: KY., S.W.VA., TENN., N. & C.GA., MISS., ALA., & W.FLA." The War of the Rebellion: Official Records of the Civil War. Serial 103, pp. 398-399.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Main question: The first one was the Alina and the last one was the Waverly.

Bonus: I found a source indicating that Wilson reported the capture of 24 stands of colors from the enemy during his raid. However, two of those were not Confederate flags - they were U. S. flags which Wilson's men recaptured after they had previously been captured by the Confederates. Therefore, the number of Confederate flags that Wilson's troops captured was twenty-two.

Last edited:

DBF

Sergeant Major
Question
The first ship: October 30, 1864 - the Alina
https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/confederate_ships/shenandoah.html

The last ship is a little more complicated: According to this site - June 28, 1865: “whaling bark Covington of Warren, Rhode Island was burned in East Cape Bay, near Bering Strait Narrows; whaling ship Favorite of New Haven was burned in East Cape Bay; whaling ships Hillman, Isaac Howland, Martha and Nassau of New Bedford were burned in East Cape Bay; whaling bark Waverly of New Haven was burned near the Diomede Islands.” I noted these are listed in alphabetical order but wondered if they were listed in chronological order.​
https://faralloneggwar.blogspot.com/2015/02/scammons-note-on-pirate-ship-shenandoah.html

This source claims early on June 28th: “Captain Waddell turned southward under steam and caught the bark Waverly of New Bedford, removed prisoners, and set her alight. Then heading first west around the ice, he turned north and approached the stationary flotilla, alternately revealed and obscured in the murk.” He then discovers “Brunswick had been stove by ice the night before, already a loss. The other whalers were anchored nearby providing assistance and purchasing equipment, stores, and whale oil from her. Boarded in succession were the ships Hillman, James Maury, Nassau, Brunswick, and Isaac Howland and barks Martha (Second) and Congress—all of New Bedford—along with the ship Nile of New London and barks Favorite of Fairhaven, Massachusetts, and Covington of Warren, Rhode Island.” Since the Covington was boarded last and “was burned in East Cape Bay, near Bering Strait Narrows” wouldn’t she be the last ship to be destroyed?

The source concludes: “With the flaming Waverly still in sight to the south, the rest went up at once. Explosions of gunpowder and other combustibles resembled distant artillery, recalled Waddell, as liquid flame pursued inflammable substance down the sides to the water. The heavens were illuminated with the red glare, presenting a picture of indescribable grandeur, while the water was covered with black smoke commingling with fiery sparks.” Seems to indicate the Waverly was once of the 1st to burn that day (see next source). ​
https://emergingcivilwar.com/2015/08/06/the-final-gun/

Then I discovered another source “Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the war of the Rebellion” (*Link below)

June 28th - 8:15 am - reached the Waverly and destroyed; 1:30 pm came up with a fleet of ten sails and took possession of: Hillamn, James Maury, Nassau, Brunswick, Isaac Howland, Martha, Congress (all of New Bedford); Nile (of New London, CT) Favorite (of Fair Haven, CT) and the aforementioned Covington. Fired the bark Martha and Nassau, Hillman, Isaac Howland. From 4-6 pm, bonded the Nile and set fire to the barks Congress and Favorite. There is no mention of the Covington in these records.​
(*Link)

There are several cites at CWT that link to this source claiming: “Thus, when Captain Young of the Favorite made his stand against the Shenandoah on that June afternoon in 1865, his stand held symbolic meaning”. He was the only ship the tried to get away and was caught. Did that cause him to be the last ship to be destroyed?​
https://vc.bridgew.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1226&context=honors_proj

Having been born and raised in SE Connecticut where whaling was “king” in the 1800’s - this subject has always been of great interest to me and sent me on a hunt to see what I could discover during the time the “CSS Shenandoah captured 38 vessels during the period October 1864 and June 1865”. As warbird43 said a few questions ago - “I love a mystery.”

Bonus
He captured 23 - General Wilson’s Report he lists: captured 5 fortified cities, 23 stand of colors, 288 pieces of artillery​
http://www.aotc.net/selma-rep.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.