Trivia 1-24-19 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Born in Brooklyn. I joined the US army as a private and rose all the way to Brevet Major General. After the war I was a US Marshal and a prosecutor. During the war, I became a widower and the second time around I married the sister of a hero. Who am I and who was my second wife.

credit: @Jimklag

Francis Channing Barlow of Brooklyn was awarded Brevet Major General by President Lincoln, and his second wife was Ellen Shaw, the sister of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw. Incidentally, in addition to becoming a U.S. Marshal, he was New York Attorney General, and founded the American Bar Association. He is featured in Winslow Homer's painting, "Prisoners From the Front".
1548340821086.png

Born in Brooklyn. I joined the US army as a private and rose all the way to Brevet Major General. After the war I was a US Marshal and a prosecutor. During the war, I became a widower and the second time around I married the sister of a hero. Who am I and who was my second wife.
credit: @Jimklag
Francis C. Barlow (1834-1896). His first wife, Arabella, served as an Army nurse during the conflict, where she contracted Typhus and died in 1864. His second wife was Ellen Shaw, sister of Robert G. Shaw (1837-1863), commander of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry immortalized in the film Glory.

My guess is Francis C. Barlow. Barlow's first wife, Arabella, was an Army nurse who died of typhus on July 27, 1864. Barlow subsequently married Ellen Shaw, the sister of Union Colonel Robert Gould Shaw of Fort Fisher fame. After the war, Barlow served as a U.S. Marshall and New York Secretary of State as well as New York State Attorney General. He is well known for prosecuting the infamous Boss Tweed corruption ring. He was very active in Republican politics and investigated the Hayes-Tilden Presidential election for irregularities. He is also the founder of the infamous legal fraternity known as the American Bar Association. David.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back