1-20-21 Artillery Rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
In October 1862, the 5th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery helped anchor the initial Union center at the Battle of Perryville. After a long day of battle, they withdrew after running short of ammunition. How many rounds did they expend at the Battle of Perryville on October 8, 1862?

credit: @NFB22

The 5th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery, also called Simonson's Battery, had fired 755 rounds before they retired from the field at the Battle of Perryville

1611147385165.png

Union Private Ormon Hupp wrote that "a shell from the enemy struck me on the left arm and passing on, struck the ammunition chest, exploded and caused the cartridges in the chest to explode. It was all done in an instant and resulted in the instant death of [soldier Frederick Ehrich] who was struck in the head with a piece of shell and the wounding of four others, C. Miller, burnt, [Abraham Forry], arm broken and badly burnt on head and face; A. Pettit, lip cut and wounded slightly in the head and myself cut in the left arm, right army, and face. When the chest blew up it took me in the air abut ten feet.... I jumped up and saw that I was badly wounded, my clothes were all torn off, and the burn from powder set me near crazy." The battery ran out of ammunition after firing 755 rounds.

In October 1862, the 5th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery helped anchor the initial Union center at the Battle of Perryville. After a long day of battle, they withdrew after running short of ammunition. How many rounds did they expend at the Battle of Perryville on October 8, 1862?

credit: @NFB22
755 rounds.
Source: "Simonson's Battery: Battle of Perryville", The Historical Marker Database.
Simonson’s Battery Historical Marker (hmdb.org)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back