Trivia 1-11-19 Who Am I? & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Born in Beaumont, Texas, I joined the Confederate army as a private and fought with Stonewall Jackson's Texas Brigade. I was wounded at Second Manassas, recovered and went on to fight at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, where I was wounded in the foot, but the devoted care of the "Sisters of Mercy" saved my foot from amputation. After the Civil War I returned to my native city and became the owner of a successful lumber business. In 1907 I published a book about my Civil War adventures, which served as a valuable research tool for Margaret Mitchell's famous book "Gone with the Wind".
Who am I?
What is the title of my book?

credit: @sarladaise

Bonus:
My brother and I were both born in Florida. While he studied at West Point, my father fought in Mexico and I served as midshipman in the Navy before resigning in 1850 and going into business in New Jersey. When Florida seceded, my brother resigned his commission in the cavalry and offered his services to the rebels. For his decisive victory over Indians on December 26, 1861, he was promoted to Brigadier General. He was killed at the Battle of Pea Ridge only minutes after taking over division command, his division commander having been killed by Union infantry fire.

Meanwhile, I joined the 2nd US Cavalry as 2nd Lieutenant and fought in the Seven Days and at Antietam, rising to the rank of Major in-between battles. Before Chancellorsville, I was promoted to Brigadier General, and at Gettysburg, on the third day of battle I distinguished myself against J.E.B. Stuart. Because of a wound received at the Third Battle of Winchester I lost a leg. I retired from the army in 1870.

Who are we?

credit: @luinrina

Margaret Mitchell, in research for her famous work, used William A. Fletcher's book titled, Rebel Private: Front and Rear.

Bonus: (image #1) CSA Brigadier General James M. McIntosh killed in the Battle of Pea Ridge, his brother, (image #2) Union General John Baillie McIntosh.

1547214519156.png
1547214559543.png

Born in Beaumont, Texas, I joined the Confederate army as a private and fought with Stonewall Jackson's Texas Brigade. I was wounded at Second Manassas, recovered and went on to fight at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, where I was wounded in the foot, but the devoted care of the "Sisters of Mercy" saved my foot from amputation. After the Civil War I returned to my native city and became the owner of a successful lumber business. In 1907 I published a book about my Civil War adventures, which served as a valuable research tool for Margaret Mitchell's famous book "Gone with the Wind".
Who am I?
What is the title of my book?

credit: @sarladaise
William A. Fletcher (1839-1915), author of Rebel Private: Front and Rear: Memoirs of a Confederate Soldier. (Beaumont, TX: Greer Press, 1908).
Bonus:
My brother and I were both born in Florida. While he studied at West Point, my father fought in Mexico and I served as midshipman in the Navy before resigning in 1850 and going into business in New Jersey. When Florida seceded, my brother resigned his commission in the cavalry and offered his services to the rebels. For his decisive victory over Indians on December 26, 1861, he was promoted to Brigadier General. He was killed at the Battle of Pea Ridge only minutes after taking over division command, his division commander having been killed by Union infantry fire.
Meanwhile, I joined the 2nd US Cavalry as 2nd Lieutenant and fought in the Seven Days and at Antietam, rising to the rank of Major in-between battles. Before Chancellorsville, I was promoted to Brigadier General, and at Gettysburg, on the third day of battle I distinguished myself against J.E.B. Stuart. Because of a wound received at the Third Battle of Winchester I lost a leg. I retired from the army in 1870.
Who are we?
credit: @luinrina
John Baillie McIntosh (1829-1888), USA and his brother James McQueen McIntosh (1828-1862), CSA.

William Andrew Fletcher (23 April 1839 - 5 Jan 1915) https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/20946275/william-andrew-fletcher
Rebel Private, Front and Rear, Greer Press, Beaumont, TX 1908.

BONUS:
John Baillie McIntosh
(6 June 1829 – 29 June 1888) Union Brig Genl
James McQueen McIntosh (1828 – 7 March 1862) Confederate Brig Genl killed at Pea Ridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back