1,000 Pin Pricks

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
Before my late lamented computer went over the hill, I had a quote from one of Ken Burn's preludes into the Civil Series which was if I am recalling correctly from an Arkansas soldier.
The quote was to the effect "that I felt like I had 1,000 pin pricks so anxious was I to serve that I left a week ahead of my brothers." Sure would appreciate any assistance rendered.
Regards
David

I've tried to search this and can't find anything. However, I have the Ken Burns book and will get it out today and try to find it for you.

I looked through the Ken Burns book and I'm to the beginning of 1865 and don't see it. I don't see any reference in the index to Arkansas or anything remotely connected with that saying. I'm sorry, I know how frustrating it can be.

Thank you so much for your assistance. I will eventually run across someone who will know.
If you live in NH, I envy you as it is some of the most beautiful my wife and i have seen. In fact we have flown into NE twice, renting a car and spending a week traveling as she loves Wooden Bridges and we both love the fall foliage. The Canterbury Shaker Village and the Enfield Shaker Museum on Mascoma Lake is gorgeous.
The Union Soldier statue in Lebanon, NH was very impressive as well.
Regards
David

I do. The beautiful beach behind me is part of our tiny coast line, but much colder than the Gulf! We think it is beautiful here too. I'm glad you liked it and enjoyed your visits.

Before my late lamented computer went over the hill, I had a quote from one of Ken Burn's preludes into the Civil Series which was if I am recalling correctly from an Arkansas soldier.
The quote was to the effect "that I felt like I had 1,000 pin pricks so anxious was I to serve that I left a week ahead of my brothers." Sure would appreciate any assistance rendered.
Regards
David
Bell I. Wiley has this quote as the opening paragraph of Chapter One OFF TO THE WAR in his book "The Life of Johnny Reb".

"So impatient did I become for starting" wrote a young enthusiast from Arkansas, "that I felt like ten thousand pins were pricking me in every part of the body, and started off a week in advance of my brothers".

So Burns either cited the same source or got the quote from Mr. Wiley's excellent book.

I was attempting to find the quote about a soldier leaving early for the War which Ms V and Lincoln 56 found for me.
Regards
David

I have Dr Wiley's book and have used it often for sources and never noticed that quote!
Regards
David
Dr. Wiley's "The Life of Johnny Reb" and "The Life of Billy Yank" are two of my absolute favorite ACW books.

I should have put these two in the thread from a while back 'what books started your interest in the American Civil War' since they had such an influence on me. Dr. Wiley's writing style is so very interesting.

Back