05/30, May 30th In Civil War History

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
This date in Civil War history
Compiled by Mitchell Werksman and Jim Klag

May 30, 1854 - President Franklin Pierce signs the Kansas-Nebraska Act into law.

May 30, 1861 - At a convention in Knoxville, a group of Unionists denounce Tennessee's secessionist actions.

May 30, 1861 - Albert Sidney Johnston, CSA. is appointed full Confederate General.

May 30, 1862 - The occupation of Grafton, WV, by the Union troops, led by Col. Benjamin F. Kelley, USA, under Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, USA, to protect the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Washington's link to the western states and territories. (May 26-30)

May 30, 1861 - Honorable Simon Cameron, Secretary of War, directs Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, USA, not to surrender any fugitive slaves to disloyal owners; Maj. Gen Butler is stationed at Fortress Monroe, VA.

May 30, 1861 - Across Hampton Roads from Newport News, VA, the Confederates raise the scuttled USS Merrimack, after it was burned to the water level, by the evacuating Federals, Apr 20, at the Gosport Naval Yard Dry-dock, Norfolk, VA.

May 30, 1862 - The Capture of Booneville, MS.

May 30, 1862 - Corinth, MS, is evacuated by the Confederates and occupied by Maj. Gen. Henry W. Halleck, USA, as Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, CSA, retreats toward Tupelo, MS.

May 30, 1862 - The Federal destruction of the Cypress Creek and Tuscumbia Bridges, near Booneville, MS.

May 30, 1862 - Skirmish at Tranter's Creek, near Washington, NC, with Capt. George F. Jocknick, 3rd NY Cavalry.

May 30, 1862 - Martial law is declared in Texas.

May 30, 1862 - Skirmish near Fair Oaks, VA.

May 30, 1862 - Action at Front Royal, VA, as Brig. Gen. James Shields, USA, occupies the town.

May 30, 1862 - Skirmish near Zuni, VA.

May 30, 1862 - Skirmish at Lewisburg, WV.

May 30, 1862 - Federal raid to Shaver's River, WV, against guerrillas.

May 30, 1863 - Cavalry skirmish at Jordan's Store, TN.

May 30, 1863 - Affair at Point Isabel, TX, where the Union frigate, Brooklyn, transports troops against Confederates who burn the schooner, Eager.

May 30, 1863 - Skirmish near Greenwich, VA, as Capt. John Singleton Mosby, CSA, attacks and burn the railroad train for Bealeton.

May 30, 1863 - Robert E. Lee completes the restructuring of the Army of Northern Virginia, creating three infantry corps under James Longstreet, Dick Ewell and A. P. Hill - and the cavalry corps under Jeb Stuart.

May 30, 1864 - Brig. Gen. James Barbour Terrill, CSA, is mortally wounded during the Battle of Bethesda Church, VA, part of the overall Battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court-House, VA.

May 30, 1864 - Brig. Gen. John Morgan's, CSA, Confederate Cavalry raid into Kentucky, on Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's, USA, supply lines. (May 30-Jun 20)

May 30, 1864 - Federal expedition from Morganza to the Atchafalaya, LA, and skirmishes near Livonia and Morganza. (May 30-Jun 5)

May 30, 1864 - Skirmishes on Mill and Honey Creeks, MO, where the Federals confront and kill two bushwackers who had just spent the day robbing some Union families. (May 30-31)

May 30, 1864 - Skirmish at Greeneville, TN.

May 30, 1864 - Skirmish at Ashland and Hanover, VA, as Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, arrives along the Totopotomoy River, almost within 10 miles of Richmond, VA, but blocking the way is the Army of Northern Virginia, north of the Chickahominy River.

May 30, 1864 - Skirmish at Old Church, VA.

May 30, 1864 - Brig. Gen. George Crook's, USA, Command sets out from Meadow Bluff, WV, for the Lynchburg, VA, vicinity, in cooperation with Maj. Gen. David Hunter's, USA, advance from Strasburg and Cedar Creek toward Lynchburg, VA.

May 30, 1865 - The 4th US Army Corps is ordered from the Dept. of the Cumberland to the Military Division of the Southwest, TN.

May 30, 1862 - Corinth, MS, is evacuated by the Confederates and occupied by Maj. Gen. Henry W. Halleck, USA, as Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, CSA, retreats toward Tupelo, MS.
I love these "______ in Civil War History" posts. They remind of places I've been and places I wanna go. I hope to do the Corinth to Tupelo tour in the next 2-3 years. I have the Blue & Gray Magazine issues on Corinth,Brice's Cross Roads and Tupelo. At some point I'll snag 2-3 books about 'em too.

I love these "______ in Civil War History" posts. They remind of places I've been and places I wanna go. I hope to do the Corinth to Tupelo tour in the next 2-3 years. I have the Blue & Gray Magazine issues on Corinth,Brice's Cross Roads and Tupelo. At some point I'll snag 2-3 books about 'em too.
I haven't done that tour either.

Ed Bearrs book on Brice's Crossroads is the best.tim Smith's book "Corinth 1862" i would highly reconmend above all others.

Today marks the 157th Anniversary of the Battle of Old Church/Matadequin Creek Virginia. This battle was part of the Overland Campaign fought in Virginia. The Battle took place in Hanover County Virginia. The result was a Union Victory. Union Army Commander was Brig. General Alfred T.A. Torbert commanding 1 division of Union Army Cavalry. Casualties and Losses were 90. The Confederate Army Commander was Brig. General Matthew C. Butler commanding 1 brigade. Confederate Casualties and losses were 188.

Battle of Old Church:
Today marks the 158th​ anniversary of the Battle of Old Church. This battle is also called the Battle of Matadequin Creek. This battle was part of the overland campaign. The battle took place on May 30th​, 1864. Location of the battle was Hanover County, Virginia.

Result of Battle: Union Victory :us34stars:

Union Army Commander:
Brig. General Alfred T. A. Torbert (Delaware) 1833 – 1880
Union Army Strength: - (1 division)
Union Army casualties and losses: 90

Confederate Army Commander:
Brig. General Matthew C. Butler (South Carolina) 1836 – 1909
Confederate Army Strength: - (1 brigade)
Confederate Army casualties and losses: 188

Back