05/14, May 14th In Civil War History

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
This date in Civil War history
Compiled by Mitchell Werksman and Jim Klag

May 14, 1832 - Some militia under Col. Zachary Taylor attack Blackhawk Indians coming to discuss a truce. The Blackhawk kill 12 settlers.

May 14, 1861 - Robert Edward Lee, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.

May 14, 1861 - John Charles Fremont, U.S.A, is appointed Maj. Gen.

May 14, 1861 - The following are appointed Union Brigadier Generals:
Irvin McDowell, USA
Joseph King Fenno Mansfield, USA
Montgomery Cunningham Meigs, USA
Erastus Barnard Tyler, USA

May 14, 1861 - The seizure of a train of railroad cars and locomotives at Harper's Ferry, WV, and on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, by direction of Col. Thomas Jonathan Jackson, VA Militia.

May 14, 1861 - President Abraham Lincoln orders Major Robert Anderson, USA, to provide aid to the Kentucky Unionists even though the state has claimed neutrality.

May 14, 1862 - Skirmish at Cotton Plant, AR.

May 14, 1862 - Skirmish with Indians at Angel's Ranch on the Mad River, CA.

May 14, 1862 - Skirmish on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, near Corinth, MS, with Maj. Gen. Henry W. Halleck. USA.

May 14, 1862 - Skirmish at Fayetteville, TN.

May 14, 1862 - Federal raid on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, TN.

May 14, 1862 - Skirmish at Games' Cross-Roads, VA, with Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's, USA, advancing Federal army on Richmond, VA.

May 14, 1863 - Battle of Jackson, MS - After a brief fight, McPherson and Sherman's corps take Jackson, driving Joe Johnston off.

May 14, 1863 - Skirmish at Fort Gibson, the Indian Territory.

May 14, 1863 - Skirmish at Boyce's Bridge, Cotile Bayou, LA, with dismounted Confederate cavalry and Brig. Gen. Godfrey Weitzel, USA.

May 14, 1863 - Federal reconnaissance to Judge Boyce's Plantation, LA, and skirmish.

May 14, 1863 - Federal scouts from Merritt's Plantation, on the Clinton Road, LA, by Col. Benjamin H. Grierson, USA.

May 14, 1863 - Skirmish at Marsteller's Place, near Warrenton Junction, VA.

May 14, 1863 - The army of Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks, USA, is enroute from Alexandria, LA, for operations against Port Hudson, LA, above Baton Rouge, LA.

May 14, 1863 - May 18, 1863 - General Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and the Confederate Cabinet meet to discuss the "Summer Strategy" for 1863.

May 14, 1864 - John Brown Gordon, C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.

May 14, 1864 - Andrew Jackson Smith, U.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.

May 14, 1864 - The Battle of Resaca, GA. (May 14-15)

May 14, 1864 - Skirmish at Wilson's Landing, LA, the Red River (LA) Campaign.

May 14, 1864 - Skirmishes at Rude's Hill and New Market, VA, as Maj. Gen. Franz Sigel, USA, Marches up the Shenandoah Valley, Brig. Gen. John D. Imboden's, CSA, Cavalry contesting Sigel's advance, and waiting to be joined by Maj. Gen. John Cabell Breckinridge's, CSA, infantry.

May 14, 1864 - Battle of Spotsylvania - Grant's command was too scattered and exhausted to undertake an assault against Spotsylvania Court House on May 14, which is unfortunate because Lee has left it practically undefended for most of the day.

May 14, 1865 - Federal expedition from Brashear City, aboard the steamer, Cornie, to Ratliff's Plantation, LA, where the Yankees send out word that continued resistance is futile. (May 14-16)

May 14, 1865 - Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren, USA, assumes the command of the Dept. of Mississippi.

May 14, 1865 - Skirmish with guerrillas on the Little Piney, MO, with a detachment of Texas and Pulaski County militia.

May 14, 1865 - President Johnson issues a conditional amnesty to all persons engaged in the late Rebellion.

This list just reminds me how little I really know about the Atlanta and Overland Campaigns. I've read about Richmond/Petersburg and Hood's Tennessee Campaign and the books discuss the lead up to both those campaigns. Also read some other books that touch but not focus on Atlanta and Overland. Got a lot of reading to do. I have not been to Atlanta yet and have only been to one Overland Campaign battlefield.

This list just reminds me how little I really know about the Atlanta and Overland Campaigns. I've read about Richmond/Petersburg and Hood's Tennessee Campaign and the books discuss the lead up to both those campaigns. Also read some other books that touch but not focus on Atlanta and Overland. Got a lot of reading to do. I have not been to Atlanta yet and have only been to one Overland Campaign battlefield.
From Stones River on the Tennessee-Georgia campaigns is where the war was won.

From Stones River on the Tennessee-Georgia campaigns is where the war was won.
I have read about and been to Murfreesboro and Chattanooga/Chickamauga. Plan to spend July-October reading about Chickamauga/Chattanooga in anticipation and preparation of the CWT Gathering at Chickamauga in late October.

1836-James Patrick Major is born in Fayette,Mo.graduated 23rd in his class at West Point and joined the U.S.Cavalry and resigned in 1861to join the CSA.fought at Wilson's Creek and at Vicksburg.attained the rank of Brig.Gen....has an interesting grave..

https://findagrave.com/memorial/11022/james-patrick-major#view-photo=90715

We passed right by that church and cemetery on our Texans On The Teche tour last October. Sure wish we had stopped there now. A shot from the tour bus rolling by:

2017-10-27 15.25.55.jpg

Thats cool,i think you can makeout his memorial in the rear on the right side when you enlarge the photo.
Hard for me to tell. Another angle:

2017-10-27 15.25.50.jpg

That angle seems tougher to tell.
Yeah. Looking at the last pic in the FindAGrave slideshow and the location of the powerlines,it looks like the mausoleum is in the back of the cemetery.

Today marks the 158th Anniversary of the Battle of Jackson Mississippi. This battle was part of the Vicksburg Mississippi Campaign. The Union Commanders were Major General's Ulysses S. Grant/William T. Sherman and James B. McPherson with a force of the XV Army Corps and XVII Army Corps. Casualties and losses of 286 - 332. On The Confederate Army side Commanding was General Joseph E. Johnston and Brig. General John Gregg with the Jackson Mississippi Garrison losses and casualties of 200 - 850.

Jackson.jpg

Battle of Jackson Mississippi:
Today marks the 159th​ anniversary of the Battle of Jackson, Mississippi. The battle was fought on May 14, 1863. The battle was part of the Vicksburg Campaign.

Result of Battle: Union Victory :us34stars:

Union Army Commander:
Major General Ulysses S. Grant (Illinois) 1822 – 1885

Union Army casualties and losses: between 286 and 332

Confederate Army Commander:
General Joseph E. Johnston (Virginia) 1807 – 1891

Confederate Army casualties and losses: between 200 and 850

Jackson.jpg

Back