05-07-21 Who wears the pants?

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
As chief of nursing, she sometimes deliberately ignored military procedure, and when Grant's staff complained about her behavior, Union Gen. William T. Sherman reportedly threw up his hands and exclaimed, "She outranks me. I can't do a thing in the world."

Question 1). Who was Sherman referring to ?

Question 2). What was the nickname given her by her patients, the enlisted soldiers ?

credit: @warbird43

1. Mary Ann Bickerdyke
2. "Mother" Bickerdyke
(I remembered this from a biography I read as a kid, called "Nurses who Led the Way", I believe, but here's a source anyway because the book's probably out of print :https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Mary_Ann_Bickerdyke )
According to the abovementioned bio, that woman was a real force of nature and Sherman was completely justified in not wanting to mess with her.

1) Mother Bickerdyke - Mary Ann Ball Bickerdyke

2) Cyclone in Calico

Edit - The source cited for the nickname "Cyclone in Calico" does not indicate whether that nickname was used by the enlisted soldiers under her care or was bestowed upon her by somebody else. However, since the desired nickname of "Mother" was also included with your response, you get credit for a correct answer.

hoosier

Snip-it_1620404962943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As chief of nursing, she sometimes deliberately ignored military procedure, and when Grant's staff complained about her behavior, Union Gen. William T. Sherman reportedly threw up his hands and exclaimed, "She outranks me. I can't do a thing in the world."

Question 1). Who was Sherman referring to ?

Question 2). What was the nickname given her by her patients, the enlisted soldiers ?

credit: @warbird43
1. Mary Ann Bickerdyke (1817-1901);
2. Mother Bickerdyke.
Source: Rich Hanson, "She Outranks Me: Mother Bickerdyke's Civil War", Rich Hanson's Civil War Stories, August 31, 2013. https://monmouthrlhcw.blogspot.com/2013/08/she-outranks-me.html

Back