04/26, April 26th In Civil War History

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
This date in Civil War history
Compiled by Mitchell Werksman and Jim Klag

April 26, 1809 - Britain declares any country who trades with Napoleonic France to be non-neutral.

April 26, 1854 - Emory Washburn signs legislation officially recognizing the Massachusetts Emigrant Aid Company. It founded by Eli Thayer, Alexander H. Bullock and Edward Everett Hale.

April 26, 1859 - Dan Sickles is acquitted of murder on grounds of temporary insanity - 1st time this defense used successfully in the US

April 26, 1861 - Federal Naval blockade is established on New Orleans, LA, by the USS Brooklyn.

April 26, 1861 - Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, of the US Supreme Court, issues a writ of habeas corpus. His opinion is in the matter of Prisoner John Merryman, MD, who was arrested by Maj. Gen. George Cadwalder, while trying to recruit Confederate soldiers. Taney orders that Mr. Merryman be set free.

April 26, 1861 - The advance upon and the occupation of Grafton, WV, by the Union troops. (May 26-30)

April 26, 1861 - Lincoln's 1st Postmaster, Francis Preston Blair, Jr, announces postal services will be cut with the Confederate States on May 31, Washington, DC.

April 26, 1862 - Ambrose Powell Hill, C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen. Louis Hebert, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen. John Creed Moore, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.

April 26, 1862 - The Confederate Trans-Mississippi Dept. is extended to include Arkansas, the Indian Territory, Missouri, West Louisiana, and Texas.

April 26, 1862 - Skirmish at Calico Rock, AR.

April 26, 1862 - Federal reconnaissance from Jacksonport toward Augusta and Des Arc, AR, and skirmish at the Cache River Bridge, AR. (May 28).

April 26, 1862 - Affair at Grand Gulf, MS.

April 26, 1862 - The Confederate Dept. No. 2 is extended to embrace Mississippi south of the 33rd parallel and west of the Pascagoula and the Chickasawha Rivers, and Louisiana east of the Mississippi.

April 26, 1862 - Skirmish at Crow's Station, near Licking, MO, with a Rebel attack and partial destruction of the Union wagon train.

April 26, 1862 - Federal reconnaissance toward Hanover Court-House, VA.

April 26, 1862 - Winchester, VA, is occupied by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, CSA.

April 26, 1862 - Skirmish near Franklin, WV.

April 26, 1863 - Robert Ransom, Jr., C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.

April 26, 1863 - Alexander Shaler, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.

April 26, 1863 - Federal scout from Fort Heiman, KY, into Tennessee. (May 26-Jun 1)

April 26, 1863 - Federal expedition from Corinth, MS, to Florence, AL, and skirmishes: (May26-31)
at Florence, (May 28) and at Hamburg Landing, TN. (May 29 & 30)

April 26, 1863 - Federal expedition from Haynes' Bluff to Mechanicsburg, MS, and skirmishes, as Maj. Gen. Frank Blair, USA, believes he burned over 500,000 bushels of corn, plus bacon, etc. (May 26-Jun 4)

April 26, 1863 - Skirmish at Mountain Store and Bush Creek, MO.

April 26, 1863 - Federal expedition from Bolivar to Wesley Camp, Somerville, and Antioch Church, TN, and skirmishes with Rebel guerrillas. (May 26-29)

April 26, 1863 - Federal expedition from Memphis, TN, toward Hernando, MS, with the Federal capture of a couple horses, mules, and some arms.

April 26, 1863 - Former Ohio Congressman, Clement L. Vallandigham is banished from the Union and turned over to the Confederates near Murfreesboro, TN.

April 26, 1864 - Maj. Gen. John G. Foster, USA, assumes the command of the Dept. of the South, FL.

April 26, 1864 - Combats at and about Dallas, GA, as both sides begin to entrench which changes this advance into a siege. May 26-Jun 1)

April 26, 1864 - The Montana Territory is created, which previously was mostly a part of the Dakota Territory.

April 26, 1864 - Affair on Lane's Prairie, Maries County, MO, with bushwhackers.

April 26, 1864 - The destruction of the US transport, Boston, at Chapman's Fort, Ashepoo River, SC, by her crew, after running aground. Afterwards, the Confederates board her and find a large number of burnt horses.

April 26, 1864 - The Lynchburg, VA, Campaign. (May 26-Jun 29)

April 26, 1864 - The Union forces, under Maj. Gen. David Hunter, USA, advance from Strasburg and Cedar Creek toward Lynchburg, VA, and vicinity, and will be opposed by Brig. Gen. William E. "Grumble" Jones.

April 26, 1864 - Admiral David Porter's fleet is badly damaged in engagements with on-shore Confederates. The fleet had become trapped by low water following Porter's rescue of Nathaniel Banks at the end of the Red River Campaign.

April 26, 1865 - P. G. T. Beauregard [CS] surrenders, Durham Station, North Carolina.

April 26, 1865 - Joe Johnston surrenders to William Tecumseh Sherman.

April 26, 1865 - John Wilkes Booth is shot while fleeing a burning tobacco shed.

April 26, 1865 - Gershom Mott, U.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.

April 26, 1865 -Federal scout after a band of roving Confederates and skirmishes in Carroll and Ray Counties, MO, including in the Crook River timber, as the Yankees continue to inflict serious damage to the remaining Rebels, bushwhackers and guerrillas. (May 26-27)

April 26, 1865 - Federal scout against Indians from Plum Creek, the Nebraska Territory to the vicinity of Mullahla's Station, where a few head of cattle were stolen. (May 26-27)

April 26, 1865 - Federal operations against Indians on the Overland Stage Road on the Platte and Sweetwater Rivers, with skirmishes at:
Saint Mary's Station (May 27)
Sweetwater Station (May 26, 28 & Jun 1)
Platte Bridge, Dakota Territory (Jun 3)

April 26, 1865 - Sage Creek, Colorado Territory (June 8) The attacking Indians burn some of the above stations, tear down telegraph lines, kill quite a few settlers and soldiers, in addition to wounding many others. (May 26-Jun 9)

April 26, 1865 - LIEUT. GEN. EDMUND KIRBY SMITH. CSA. SURRENDERS ALL THE CONFEDERATE TROOPS IN THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEFT.. TO MAJ. GEN. EDWARD RICHARD SPRIGG CANBY. USA. Lieut. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner. CSA. represents Smith while Maj. Gen. Peter Joseph Osterhaus. USA, represents Canby as the agreement takes place at New Orleans. LA. Brig. Gen. Joseph Orville Shelby. CSA. refuses to surrender, opting to go to Mexico, dispersing the remainder who refused to go along with him.

The Dan Sickles murder trial, I hadn’t realised that his wife was only 15 years old when they got married, he must have been about 40 years of age when he killed Philip Barton Key. I guess that the jury accepted his plea of insanity based upon his emotional state at the time of the killing, on the face of it that would look like an acceptable reason (killing in a rage of jealousy) but I’m guessing that the jury weren’t made aware that he’d had numerous affairs himself. I have to ask though, was it an all male jury?

That’s seems fair enough, I mean, you wouldn’t want women on the jury because they’d get all emotional about his numerous affairs and they would probably get all judgmental about his relationship with a prostitute which in turn would have had an effect on the outcome. Far better to leave important matters of the heart with the men, no emotions involved, just the facts. :sneaky:

April 26, 1864 - The Lynchburg, VA, Campaign. (May 26-Jun 29)

April 26, 1864 - The Union forces, under Maj. Gen. David Hunter, USA, advance from Strasburg and Cedar Creek toward Lynchburg, VA, and vicinity, and will be opposed by Brig. Gen. William E. "Grumble" Jones.
I visited Lynchburg in January 2015. Flew into the Regional Airport there on a Thursday and out on Sunday. It wasn't a CW sightseeing trip but I got a little in anyway. I really knew nothing about the CW history of the town. I knew Appomattox was close so that is all I specifically intended to see while there. Had a coupla hours to kill before my flight on Sunday. Paid a short visit to the Museum of Lynchburg. It really doesn't take more than an hour to do it right. Got a good taste of the Civil War and postwar history of Lynchburg. Enough to make me wanna read up on it and pay another visit some day.

156 years ago today is when John Wilkes Booth died. Below are some articles from 1865.

Booth.jpg

Booth 1.jpg

Booth 2.jpg

Booth 3.jpg

Today marks the 158th Anniversary of the Battle of Cape Girardeau Missouri. This will be a Union victory. The Union Commander in this battle was Brig. General John McNeil he will have a force of 4,000 and sustain only 12 casualties. The Confederate Commander will be Brig. General John S. Marmaduke He will have a force of about 5,000 and sustain 325 casualties.

Cape Girardeau.jpg

Cape Girardeau 1.jpg

Cape Girardeau 2.jpg

Battle of Cape Girardeau:
Today marks the 159th​ anniversary of the Battle of Cape Girardeau. This battle was fought on April 26, 1863. Location of the Battle was Cape Girardeau County, Missouri.

Result of Battle: Union Victory :us34stars:

Union Army Commander:
Brig. General John McNeil (Canada) 1813 – 1891

Union Army Strength: - (around 4,000)

Union Army casualties and losses: 12

Confederate Army Commander:
Brig. General John S. Marmaduke (Missouri) 1833 – 1887

Confederate Army Strength: - (around 5,000)

Confederate Army casualties and losses: 325

Cape.jpg

Cape 1.jpg

Back