04-02-2021 Who Am I? & Easter Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was a Union general active in the western theater. Later in the war, I returned to my home state to command its state guard. Under my direction, the state guard arrested a large number of Confederate sympathizers, who were tried by military tribunals. Eventually, the US Supreme Court ruled that these trials were unconstitutional.

I believed I was the reincarnation of a famous person, whose birthday (and death day) I commemorated every year.

Who Am I?

and

Who did I believe was reincarnated as me?

credit: @BrianB

Easter Bonus:
“A senior sergeant told a handful of men from the _______ that they should retreat to rejoin their regiment. The men refused, saying, ‘…we have the flag, some men from each company’ and therefore ‘…"we are the regiment and will stay right here as long as we have ammunition.”’”

Which regiment?

What battle?

credit: @Peace Society

Easter Bonus:

1) Which regiment? 19th Ohio
2) Which battle? Chickamauga

Snip-it_1617387599905.jpg

Source

I was a Union general active in the western theater. Later in the war, I returned to my home state to command its state guard. Under my direction, the state guard arrested a large number of Confederate sympathizers, who were tried by military tribunals. Eventually, the US Supreme Court ruled that these trials were unconstitutional.

I believed I was the reincarnation of a famous person, whose birthday (and death day) I commemorated every year.

Who Am I?

and

Who did I believe was reincarnated as me?

credit: @BrianB
Alvin Peterson Hovey (1821-1891), Brevet Major General USV and 21st Governor of Indiana. It is said that Hovey thought he was the reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Source: Timothy B. Smith, Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg. (New York: Savas Beatie, 2004), p. 163.

Easter Bonus:
“A senior sergeant told a handful of men from the _______ that they should retreat to rejoin their regiment. The men refused, saying, ‘…we have the flag, some men from each company’ and therefore ‘…"we are the regiment and will stay right here as long as we have ammunition.”’”

Which regiment?

What battle?

credit: @Peace Society
19th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Battle of Chickamauga.
Source: James Arnold, Chickamauga 1863: The River of Death, (Oxford, UK: Osprey Publishing, 1992), p. 37.

Regular question:

In the book "Generals in Blue" if found Henry Beebe Carrington whose description fitted the question, but I could not find a source saying he thought he was the reincarnation of someone

Snip-it_1617388654213.jpg

But as he wrote several books about George Washington that were not always backed by hard facts (if I understood it correctly) and celebrated Washington's birthday my idea is he might have thought he was a reincarnation of George Washington. Pure guessing here, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Answers to Primary Questions:

1. Who Am I ? James Speed.

2. Who did I believe was reincarnated as me? John Speed, English cartographer and historian, Born 1551/52, died July 28, 1629. He is, along with Christopher Saxon, one of the best known English mapmakers of the early modern period. James Speed was a distant descendant.

These are long-shot answers; ran out of time to do further research, but John Speed does fit some of the question criteria, although I could find nothing at all about Speed's attitude toward reincarnation. Since his ancestor was certainly a famous person, it is in the realm of possiblity. Hats off to @Peace Society for the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back