03-31-21 Camel Corps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
In 1855 as Major in the army I was involved in the camel experiment out west for the War Department. I was appointed adjutant and inspector general of state troops by Governor Brown. Here's the strange part of my biography. I became a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army on December 16, 1861 but resigned on January 11, 1862. Not even a month, Who am I?

credit: @Polloco

You are Henry Constantine Wayne, Master of the Sword, Commander of the Camel Corps & Defender of Georgia (although my source gives a different date for the resignation as brigadier)

1617191611135.png

https://academyofdefence.com/henry-constantine-wayne/

In 1855 as Major in the army I was involved in the camel experiment out west for the War Department. I was appointed adjutant and inspector general of state troops by Governor Brown. Here's the strange part of my biography. I became a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army on December 16, 1861 but resigned on January 11, 1862. Not even a month, Who am I?

credit: @Polloco
Henry Constantine Wayne (1815-1883). When Georgia seceded, Wayne became the State's Adjutant and Inspector-General. He was then made Brigadier General in the Confederate Provisional Army but resigned four days after being ordered to Manassas, Virginia. He resumed his State duties, serving until the end of the rebellion.
Source: Ezra J. Warner, Generals in Gray: Lives of the Confederate Commanders. (Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1959), p. 329.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back