Trivia 03-26-19 Who Wrote That

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
What Union general wrote about the Fredericksburg battlefield “I never before felt so horribly since I was born. To see men dashed to pieces by shot & torn into shreds by shells during the heat and crash of battle is bad enough God knows, but to walk alone amongst slaughtered brave in the "still small hours" of the night would make the bravest man living "blue". God grant I may never have to repeat my last night's experience.” Note - it is doubtful he ever did as 6-1/2 months later he would be killed in battle.

credit: @SWMODave

Edit - As of 9:45 PM on March 28, this thread has not been closed. However, the official answer was posted at 7:42 AM this morning. Any posts entered after that time will not be considered in the scoring.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
What Union general wrote about the Fredericksburg battlefield “I never before felt so horribly since I was born. To see men dashed to pieces by shot & torn into shreds by shells during the heat and crash of battle is bad enough God knows, but to walk alone amongst slaughtered brave in the "still small hours" of the night would make the bravest man living "blue". God grant I may never have to repeat my last night's experience.” Note - it is doubtful he ever did as 6-1/2 months later he would be killed in battle.

Brig. General Samuel K. Zook

Samuel K. Zook (1821-1863), in a letter to a friend, E. I. Wade, December 16, 1862.
<Dione Longley, Buck Zaidel, Heroes for All Time: Connecticut Soldiers Tell Their Stories. (Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 2015), p. 122.>

Back