03-19-21 Outdoor Decks May Be Slippery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
The USS Lexington and USS Tyler were present during and after the Battle of Shiloh as was General Grant’s transport Tigress along with 164 other vessels.

1) What was the name of the steamboat which was the first to transfer wounded Federal soldiers North to various hospitals?
2) Governor Harvey of Wisconsin was visiting troops from Wisconsin, after the Battle of Shiloh, in Savannah when he slipped from which steamboat and drowned in the Tennessee River?

credit: @Ole Miss

*Sorry not sorry, my titles are amusing me.

1. Since my source starts with this one first - it’s the one I’ll go with the “City of Memphis” departed the landing on 8 April with 700 patients destined for Mound City Civil War Naval Hospital in Mound City, Illinois.
https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/educational-services/staff-rides/StaffRideHB_Shiloh.pdf (page 40)

2. Governor Harvey was on the “Dunleith” when he slipped off to board the “Mineehaha”.
https://yesteryearsnews.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/acrostic-for-the-dead-gov-louis-powell-harvey/

I can't find any documentation that the Lexington, Tyler, or Tigress was involved in transporting any wounded soldiers, so none of those names will be my answer to either question.

1. I found two names, City of Memphis and Fanny Bullitt, that were involved with transporting wounded soldiers, but could find no indication which was the first. I'll take a guess and answer it was the Fanny Bullitt.

2. According to what I can find, Gov. Harvey slipped while attempting to cross from the Dunleith to the Minnehaha. It doesn't appear that he ever set foot on the Minnehaha, so my answer is that he slipped from the Dunleith.

Last edited:
The USS Lexington and USS Tyler were present during and after the Battle of Shiloh as was General Grant’s transport Tigress along with 164 other vessels.

1) What was the name of the steamboat which was the first to transfer wounded Federal soldiers North to various hospitals?
2) Governor Harvey of Wisconsin was visiting troops from Wisconsin, after the Battle of Shiloh, in Savannah when he slipped from which steamboat and drowned in the Tennessee River?

credit: @Ole Miss

*Sorry not sorry, my titles are amusing me.
1. City of Memphis, which departed Pittsburg Landing April 8, 1862, for Mound City, Illinois.
Source: Jeffrey J. Gudmens, Staff Ride Handbook for the Battle of Shiloh, 6-7 April 1862,
(Fort Leavenworth, KS: Combat Studies Institute Press, 2005), p. 40.
2. Harvey fell while stepping from Dunleith to Minnehaha.
Source: William D. Love, Wisconsin in the War of the Rebellion, (Chicago: Church & Goodman, 1866), p. 436.

1) The name of the steamboat was D. A. January.

2) Governor Harvey slipped and fell into the Tennessee River when he stepped from the steamer Dunleith to the steamer Hiawatha

Snip-it_1616452770492.jpg

https://civilwarnotebook.blogspot.com/search/label/Louis P Harvey?m=0

Edit - Your answer of Dunleith is correct. Your source is incorrect regarding the name of the steamer Gov. Harvey was trying to board. It was the Minnehaha, named for the fictional lover of the Native American leader Hiawatha.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
City of Memphis.

The steamer Dunleith.
https://thecivilwarandnorthwestwisc...ril-30-particulars-of-governor-harveys-death/

1). Couldn't find a definitive answer, but will put my money on the D. A. January. She arrived at Pittsburg Landing while the battle was still in progress. Between April 11 and June 19, 1862, she made 6 trips north, transporting a total of 2,133 wounded.

2). The steamboat Dunleith; Harvey attempted to transfer to the steamboat Minnehaha while the boats were moving, slipped and fell between the two vessels. His body was found days later, 65 miles downstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back