03/17, March 17th In Civil War History

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
on this day 4.jpg

On this day in Civil War history
Compiled by Mitchell Werksman and Jim Klag

March 17, 1777 - Roger B. Taney is born, Calvert County, Maryland.

March 17, 1820 - Patrick Edward Connor, Irish-American Brevet Major General (Union Army), born in County Kerry, Republic of Ireland (d. 1891)

March 17, 1828 Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, Major General (Confederate Army), born in Killumney, County Cork, Ireland. (Cleburne's birthdate listed as March 16, 17 or 18)

March 17, 1861 - Camp Hudson, TX, is abandoned by the Union forces.

March 17, 1862 - Ulysses S. Grant assumes command of the forces at Pittsburg Landing.

March 17, 1862 - The following are appointed Union Brigadier Generals:
William Hemsley Emory, USA
Orris Sanford Ferry, USA
Isaac Ferdinand Quinby, USA

March 17, 1862 - Action at Riddle's Point, MO.

March 17, 1862 - The Army of the Potomac, Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, USA, commanding, begins to embark on navy transports for the Virginia Peninsula at Alexandria, VA, headed for Fortress Monroe, near Hampton, VA.

March 17, 1862 - Major General Lew Wallace and his division stop at Crump's Landing, Tennessee, to destroy the tracks of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad.

March 17, 1863 - William Bensinger, Robert Buffum, Elihu H. Mason, Jacob Parrott, William Pittenger and William H. Reddick are exchanged for Confederate soldiers from the prisoner-of-war camp at City Point, Virginia. Among the first Medal of Honor winners, these men were members of Andrews Raiders.

March 17, 1863 - The following are appointed Union Major Generals:
Carl Schurz, U.S.A.
Julius Stahel, U.S.A.

March 17, 1863 - Operations on the west bank of the Mississippi River, from Port Hudson, LA.

March 17, 1863 - Federal expedition from Montesano Bayou toward Port Hudson, LA.

March 17, 1863 - Skirmish at Bealeton Station, VA, with guerrillas.

March 17, 1863 - Skirmish about 5 miles from Franklin, VA.

March 17, 1863 - Affair at Herndon Station, VA, as Capt. John Mosby, CSA, and his Virginia Partisan Cavalry surprises and captures the 25 man Union reserve picket post there.

March 17, 1863 - Battle of Kelly's Ford. - Federal cavalry under William Woods Averell crossed the ford of the Rappahannock River then ran into a Rebel line. After brief but heavy fighting, the Yankees withdrew that afternoon. Major John "The Gallant" Pelham [CS] was killed in this battle. He would posthumously be promoted to Lt. Colonel.

March 17, 1863 - Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside, USA, assumes the command of the 9th US Army Corps, currently at Suffolk, VA.

March 17, 1864 - William Tecumseh Sherman, meeting with Grant in Nashville, is promoted to command the Military Division of the Mississippi commanding the Department of the Ohio, Department of the Tennessee, Department of the Cumberland and the Department of the Arkansas. Major General James McPherson is promoted to Sherman's old position, commander of the Army of the Tennessee.

March 17, 1864 - Skirmish with Indians, on Red Mountain, 7 miles southwest of Blue Rock Station, CA, where the Federals rout an Indian party and pursuing them to the Eel River, fighting again 2 days later.

March 17, 1864 - Federal scout from Lebanon, MO, to Thomasville, Oregon County, MO, into Northern Arkansas, and skirmishes. (Mar 17-Apr 1)

March 17, 1864 - Skirmish at Manchester, TN.

March 17, 1864 - Affair at Corpus Christi, TX, as the Confederates move to capture the Yankees reported to have landed at the Oso. The Federals withdraw after a fire fight.

March 17, 1864 - Federal reconnaissance to Sperryville, VA, where the Federals capture a Rebel major conscripting local boys for Confederate service. (Mar 17-18)

March 17, 1864 - Federal expedition from the Yorktown wharf aboard the transport, Convoy, into Mathews and Middlesex Counties, VA, where to instill law and order in his men and to stop them from robbing the local citizens, the Federal officer in charge had one man shot in the shoulder as a lesson. (Mar 17-21)

Last edited:
March 17, 1828 Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, Major General (Confederate Army), born in Killumney, County Cork, Ireland. (Cleburne's birthdate listed as March 16, 17 or 18)
I personally hold the 16th being Cleburne's birthday. I wonder if the reason people think it was the 17th was because of St. Patrick's Day; him being the South's most famous Irishman, it is no wonder people like to emphasis that fact by making him born of St. Patrick's Day (or as I joke with my family, Double Irish). Since Cleburne saw himself as a Southerner first and foremost, I go with the less connotative 16th.
It is true that one of his subordinates, General S.A.M. Wood, WAS born on the 17th.

I personally hold the 16th being Cleburne's birthday. I wonder if the reason people think it was the 17th was because of St. Patrick's Day; him being the South's most famous Irishman, it is no wonder people like to emphasis that fact by making him born of St. Patrick's Day (or as I joke with my family, Double Irish). Since Cleburne saw himself as a Southerner first and foremost, I go with the less connotative 16th.
It is true that one of his subordinates, General S.A.M. Wood, WAS born on the 17th.
Some sources just say March, 1828 and don't give an exact date. The three dates around St. Patrick's day are all listed in various sources - I chose the 17th because it was tied for most citations and it is St. Patrick's Day. :D

Battle of Kelly's Ford:
Today marks the 159th​ anniversary of the Battle of Kelly's Ford. This battle is also called the Battle of Kellysville and Battle of Kelleysville. This battle was fought on March 17th​, 1863, in Culpeper County and Fauquier County in Virginia.

Result of Battle: Inconclusive :us34stars::CSA1stNat:

Union Army Commander:
Brig. General William W. Averell (New York) 1832 – 1900

Union Army strength: - (Around 2,100)

Union Army casualties and losses:
Killed:
Wounded: 50
Missing: 20

Confederate Army Commander:
Brig. General Fitzhugh Lee (Virginia) 1835 – 1905

Confederate Army strength: (Around 800)

Confederate Army casualties and losses: