Trivia 03-15-19 & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't let it go without offering some sort of answer. :wub:

Bonus:

1) Who am I? George Henry Thomas

2) What was the feat? Stayed behind to ensure the Army's safety - After the battle he became widely known by the nickname "The Rock of Chickamauga", because of his determination to hold a vital position against strong odds

3) What was the post war reason for his stubbornness and his comment? Thomas may have resented his late promotion to major general; upon receiving the telegram announcing it, he remarked to Surgeon George Cooper: "I suppose it is better late than never, but it is too late to be appreciated. I earned this at Chickamauga." Thomas wasn't even part of the Union victory celebrations and parades in Washington, D.C. He said goodbye to his troops in the west. When President Andrew Johnson, "finally offered to make him lieutenant general, Thomas, a bit old and perhaps over it at this point, declined the offer."

Source
Source

Edit - Other than being in overall command, Thomas had no particular connection to Lilly's battery.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Main question: You are Jerome Watrous and you led the Mule Train Charge.

Bonus:
1.) You are Private (later Corporal) Sidney Speed, 18th Independent Battery Indiana Artillery.
2.) You picked up the shell, while the fuse was still burning and “heaved it over” the Alexander cabin where the shell exploded harmlessly.
3.) Over 50 years later Speed was recommended for a Medal of Honor which he refused stating he "didn’t give two hoots" about the medal. Speed later said he would be “willing to have the medal forced on me” as receiving it would have increased his pension.

Jerome Anthony Watrous
The
Mule Train Charge
Watrous led a 10 mule team charge to resupply 75,000 rounds of ammunition to troops in the vicinity of the McPherson farm.

http://unionreenactor.com/Gburg assets/MuleTrainHerdegen.pdf

bonus Answer: Pvt. Sidney Speed of Lilly's Battery. He grabbed the live cannonball and flung it over the log cabin that they were next to and they were sheltered from the explosion saving their lives. After the War, Lilly's grandson and other members of his team wanted to obtain the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions. He was only willing to agree if it meant an increase in his pension. Said "didn't give two hoots for the medal"

Source: "Holding the Line on the River of Death" by Eric Wittenberg

Edit - Although the information about Sidney Speed not giving two hoots is interesting, my ruling is that the third part of the question was too vague (there was no indication of which comment, out of all the comments that might have been made subsequent to the Civil War, was the basis for the question) and difficult to understand. Players who answered the first two parts of the question correctly will receive credit for a correct response, regardless of their answer to the third part of the question.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back