Trivia 03-14-19 What his name again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I'm not good at remembering names! I know my dad was a Union general and was killed in the war. I received a Medal of Honor for actions during the war. My friend and I were the first to climb the highest mountain in Washington in 1870. Will you hazard a guess at our names and the name of the mountain?

credit: @Mike Serpa

Edit - The question refers to "my dad," "my friend," and "I." It is not clear whether "our names" refers to the names of "my dad and I," "my friend and I," or all three.

I plan to give credit for any answers that correctly identify the names of "I" and either "my dad" or "my friend" (plus, of course, the name of the mountain).

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you hazard a guess at our names and the name of the mountain?
Sure! You are Hazard Stevens (June 9, 1842 – October 11, 1918) and your friend is Philemon Beecher Van Trump (1838 –1916), also known as P. B. Van Trump. The two of you climbed Mount Rainier (also known as Tahoma or Tacoma) on August 17, 1870. :smile:

Source: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/cvo/Historical/first_ascent_rainier_1870.shtml, Wikipedia

Thank you, @Mike Serpa , for that question! I've heard of General Isaac I. Stephens before, but didn't know that his son served in the same regiment, won a Medal of Honor and was one of the first two men to climb Mount Rainier. :smile:

That's what I call substantial hints!

Your names are Hazard Stevens (the Medal of Honor recipient) and Philemon van Trump
The highest mountain in Washington is Mount Rainier.

"The first well-documented ascent was completed by Hazard Stevens and Philemon Van Trump on August 17, 1870."
https://www.britannica.com/place/Mount-Rainier

"Hazard Stevens (June 9, 1842 – October 11, 1918) was an American military officer, mountaineer, politician and writer. He received the Medal of Honor for his service in the Union army during the American Civil War at the Battle of Fort Huger. Stevens and Philemon Beecher Van Trump made the first documented successful climb of Mount Rainier on August 17, 1870."
From Wikipedia

I'm not good at remembering names! I know my dad was a Union general and was killed in the war. I received a Medal of Honor for actions during the war. My friend and I were the first to climb the highest mountain in Washington in 1870. Will you hazard a guess at our names and the name of the mountain?

credit: @Mike SerpaOTE]
Hazard Stevens (1842-1918), son of Isaac I. Stevens (1818-1862), and his friend P. B. Van Trump (1838-1916) made the first recorded climb of Mount Rainier August 17, 1870.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back