03-08-21 Most Horrible Civil War Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Question: I was born 1842 in Chautauqua County, N.Y. and died in 1908 in Dunn County, Wisconsin. I enlisted in the Fall of 1862. I was in a N.Y. Regiment. My horrible record started July1st, 1863 at Gettysburg.
1) Who am I
2) What's My regiment
3) What Horrible record do I hold

credit: @JOHN42768

Reactions: WJC
1) Newell Burch
2) 154th New York
3) longest known incarceration at Andersonville

Edit - Burch was held at Belle Isle prison initially and was not transferred to Andersonville until late winter of 1864. He held the record for longest known incarceration of any Union prisoner of the Civil War, but I cannot verify that he was held at Andersonville longer than any other prisoner at that site.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Newel Burch
2. 154th New York
3. Survived Andesonville,being amongst the first to arrive there and the last to leave.

Edit - He did survive Andersonville, but was not transferred to that site until late winter of 1864, so I cannot verify that he was there longer than any other prisoner.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
1) You are Newell Burch
2) You enlisted in Company E 154th New York Infantry Regiment
3) You are credited with having been the longest-held Union prisoner of war during the Civil War, having survived a total of 661 days in Confederate hands

Sources:

(A thesis about Burch, free for download)

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Andersonville_National_Historic_Site&oldid=1011027309

1) Newell Burch
2) 154th New York Vol. Inf.
3) captured on July 1, 1863 at Gettysburg, he was first imprisoned at Belle Isle, later transferred to Andersonville Prison.
He has the distinction of being the longest-held Union POW of the Civil War. He survived 661 days of imprisonment.

Source: Wikipedia, Andersonville National Historic Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back