03-03-21 Who's That?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The desired answer is the 16th Georgia Infantry --- but it's really a misnomer. A basic transcription error resulted in the modern interpretation that 'Sallie Twiggs' was a regimental nickname. The name was never used by any member of the regiment -- just modern historians copying and pasting from one mis-transcribed report. I'll eventually be setting the record straight when I write the regimental history. But when I saw the Trivia Question, I just couldn't let this myth continue any longer. It's a fairly recent discovery and I havent shared this information with anyone else, so the folks who play CWT Trivia and read the answers here will be the FIRST to know. :thumbsup:

The name was never used by any member of the regiment -
Should have said, the name was never used by a member of the regiment to refer to the regiment. It was used by one Colonel but it was NOT used as a nickname for the regiment. That part was a mis-transcription.

6th Georgia Infantry Regiment

Research OnLine - Georgia 16th Infantry Regiment

Edit - Every source indicates that, if any regiment should have been called the Sallie Twiggs regiment, it was the 16th Georgia, not the 6th Georgia. Everybody who answered 16th Georgia will get credit.

Players are advised to check out posts # 24-25 and note that it is questionable whether those who actually served in the 16th Georgia ever referred to their regiment by that nickname.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back