1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

“Hull of H.L. Hunley to be revealed Thursday”

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by CSA Today, Sep 17, 2015.

1. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

Klaudly, bdtex, Lost Cause and 4 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Jamieva

Jamieva 1st Lieutenant

Saw a pic of it on Twitter at lunch.

4. Booner

Booner Sergeant Major

Thanks for posting the article. I've always been interested in the Hunley and would like to know what they think caused it to sink.
    What I don't understand are the comments made about the article.

CSA Today likes this.
  5. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

CSA Today,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this. Always nice to know the progress being done on this excellent artifact.

Sincerely,
    Unionblue

CSA Today likes this.
  6. HardeeBoy

HardeeBoy Private

Nice post. I always found it so interesting that the crew member's remains where found at each of their stations....as if they made no attempt to escape, or quietly awaited their deaths. Many reasons why that could have been (shock wave knocking them unconscious, water pressure making opening of hatch difficult, etc.,.) I still find the possibile explanations interesting.

So cool that they salvaged this historic vessel.

7. W. Richardson

W. Richardson Captain

I read in the article

"It appeared as if the boom had been pushed back into the sub. That would be consistent with the boom striking a vessel, said Michael Scafuri, an archaeologist with the project."

The boom pushing back into the sub, would that be normal ??? I am under the impression that isn't what is suppose to happen, but I am not a Naval person and do not know much of the workings of the Hunley.
    If that isn't the proper way it is suppose to work, could that be the reason it sunk?

Somebody set me straight...............lol

NC State Flag in Civil War  1.jpg
    Respectfully,
    William

8. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

Full quote:

The most significant find from cleaning the hull is an indication that a wooden boom at the front of the Hunley that supported the spar with the powder charge was damaged in the attack. It appeared as if the boom had been pushed back into the sub. That would be consistent with the boom striking a vessel, said Michael Scafuri, an archaeologist with the project.

That is interesting, something I'd not seen discussed before. Note that the wooden boom he's talking about is different from the iron spar on which the torpedo was mounted -- he's talking about the wooden boom above:

StdbProfile.jpg

As for being a cause or factor in the sinking, it would depend on what sort of breach it caused in the hull. Hunley had extremely limited reserve buoyancy, and it wouldn't take much.

bdtex and CSA Today like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)