“Good Coffee”[Post war but the building appears to have been around for a while.]

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
SHORPY_8b31938u_preview.jpg

"May, 1937, Post office. Finlay, Texas."

I have so many fond memories of "country stores" when I was a kid. Remember penny candy and getting two cents for returnable empty Soda bottles? BC headache powder? Box matches? Free air pumps? Moon pies? Window shaker air conditioners and some electric fans with streamers tied to them so they fluttered in the cool air? Seems like all the country stores sold bait, shotgun shells, and bullets especially bricks of .22 long rifle. In some Southern states a few sold the good old fireworks like cherry bombs and M-80s. I loved the old tin roofs and the creaky wood floors. Then there was all the signage for Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and others. Some really great country stores often featured a porch with benches and or even rocking chairs. Many were filling and or service stations. Sometimes you could find fresh local produce. Thank you Lord for letting me have such things in my life.

Wonderful pic. I remember driving to a Boy Scout Camp with my folks in 1952 or so(?) and my dad cursing because he had to gas up our Studebaker at an old country store and it still had the gas pumps you had to operate with a crank.
This in northern New Jersey, not boondock Texas.

I have so many fond memories of "country stores" when I was a kid. Remember penny candy and getting two cents for returnable empty Soda bottles? BC headache powder? Box matches? Free air pumps? Moon pies? Window shaker air conditioners and some electric fans with streamers tied to them so they fluttered in the cool air? Seems like all the country stores sold bait, shotgun shells, and bullets especially bricks of .22 long rifle. In some Southern states a few sold the good old fireworks like cherry bombs and M-80s. I loved the old tin roofs and the creaky wood floors. Then there was all the signage for Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and others. Some really great country stores often featured a porch with benches and or even rocking chairs. Many were filling and or service stations. Sometimes you could find fresh local produce. Thank you Lord for letting me have such things in my life.

That would be a moon pie and RC Cola. MERCY!!

Reactions: Lee
Great photo. I too remember the small country grocery store. The one near my Granny and Granddad was Al Gilliam's store. He sold everything. It was in South Elkhorn, Ky. near Lexington.

We always got the best "rat cheese" and boloney there. Also got the penny candies and pop (soda).. Oh, what great memories of a time past.

The grocery shop across the street from where I grew up was a place where women used to go and hand the owner a Mr George Legge a slip of paper with a list that he would get for them while they sat on a couple of chairs and had a natter that usually lasted a lot longer than it took him to fulfill the list. A long way removed from walking around a faceless shopping supermarket and then having to scan and pay for your goods yourself when you leave.

The potatoes still had dirt on them :smile:

Back