• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Receipts of the Blue & Gray

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Ω #

Filter:

(from The Book of Household Management, edited by Isabella Beeton, 1861) Ingredients: rabbit water onion, mushroom, or liver sauce, or parsley-and-butter Instructions: 977. Ingredients. - Rabbit; water. Mode. - For boiling, choose rabbits with smooth and sharp claws, as that denotes they...
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by Sarah J. Hale, 1861.) Ingredients: 1 rabbit 6 onions butter curry powder flour salt vinegar port wine rice Instructions: Cut six onions in very thin rings, fry them in butter till quite brown; put them in a warm stew pan. Cut the rabbit in small...
(from Dixie Cookery; Or, How I Managed My Table for Twelve Years, Maria Massey Barringer, 1867) Ingredients: 2 young squirrels 2 oz. butter 1 - 2 oz. ham salt pepper ...for the gravy, choose... 1/2 teacup of cream and... 1 beaten egg yolk - or - 1 wineglass of red wine Instructions: Put two...
(from Dixie Cookery; Or, How I Managed My Table for Twelve Years, Maria Massey Barringer, 1867) Ingredients: squirrels salt pepper egg yolks grated cracker hot lard for frying Instructions: Cut up and season with salt and pepper, and dip each piece in beaten yolk of egg and grated cracker...
(The Housekeeper's Encyclopedia of Useful Information for the Housekeeper, by E. F. Haskell, 1861) Hares and Rabbits at the Market: Examine the ears, if pointed and tender they are young, if the reverse old. A young hare may also be known by a narrow cleft in its lip. To distinguish one year...
(from Housekeeping in Old Virginia, by Marion Cabell Tyree, 1878) Ingredients: 6 young pigeons chopped livers parsley salt pepper butter small pieces of beef mushrooms hard-boiled egg yolk brown sauce, or gravy puff paste Instructions: Take six young pigeons. After they are drawn trussed and...
(from Common Sense in the Household by Marion Harland, 1871) Ingredients: 2 guinea fowl, young stuffing of choice butter shallot, chopped parsley or summer savory browned flour currant or other tart jelly Instructions: A pair of young Guinea fowls, stuffed and roasted, basting them with...
(from The Cook's Oracle by William Kitchiner, 1829) Ingredients: Pigeons, fresh butter salt pepper Parsley, fresh Instructions: Cover pigeons with a little pepper and salt, and fill the belly of bird with it. Roast them. They will be done in twenty to thirty minutes, send up the parsley and...
(from Mrs. Elliott's Housewife: Containing Practical Receipts in Cookery, by Sarah A. Elliott, 1870) "FAVORITE DISH WITH CHAPEL HILL STUDENTS IN OLDEN TIMES." Ingredients: 1 possum salt & water bath weak red pepper water 3 slices of bacon small sweet potatoes salt butter pepper dry sage...
(from A Southern Woman's Story, by Phoebe Yates Pember, 1879.) Ingredients: 1 skinned & cleaned rat bacon fat Instructions: Epicures sometimes managed to entrap them and secure a nice broil for supper, declaring that their flesh was superior to squirrel meat; but never having tasted it I...
(from Dixie Cookery; Or, How I Managed My Table for Twelve Years, Maria Massey Barringer, 1867) Ingredients: squirrels salt a rich top and bottom puff paste 6 hardboiled eggs butter pepper celery flour 1/2 teacup of cream, or milk optional improvement: slices of lean ham Instructions: Cut...
(from Dixie Cookery; Or, How I Managed My Table for Twelve Years, Maria Massey Barringer, 1867) Ingredients: 2 young squirrels 5 quarts cold water salt pepper 1/4 lb. butter flour 1 pint cream 2 egg yolks parsley Instructions: Cut up two young squirrels, and put them in a pot with five...
(from Mrs. Elliott's Housewife: Containing Practical Receipts in Cookery, by Sarah A. Elliott, 1870) Ingredients: squirrels salted water nice pastry to cover baking dish, and make a crust over the top a slice of bacon two hard boiled eggs cream black pepper Instructions: Parboil the...
(from The Housekeeper's Encyclopedia of Useful Information for the Housekeeper, by E. F. Haskell, 1861) Ingredients: Venison steak Butter Salt and pepper Water Instructions: This manner of cooking venison is the most healthy, and perhaps the most universally agreeable; the recipe was...
(from Miss Leslie's Complete Cookery, by Eliza Leslie, 1838) Ingredients: birds to be roasted bacon lard (omit if using force-meat stuffing) brown flour 1/2 pint claret juice of 2 large oranges Stuffing: fine ripe orange Or: grated cold ham bread crumbs butter 1 egg yolk Or: force-meat 1 egg...

Newest Receipt Posts