• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Receipts of the Blue & Gray

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Ω #

Filter:

From the newspaper: the Rome Courier of Rome, Georgia, July 3, 1855
from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1860 from Peterson's Magazine, published by C.J. Peterson, 1860 from The Housekeeper's Encyclopedia of Useful Information for the Housekeeper, by E. F. Haskell, 1861 from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited...
In the Common Sense in the Household by Marion Harland - 1873 I found some interesting fritter information and a recipe for bread fritters thought I would share here.
My dad LOVES catfish! He used to go fishing for it as a boy with his grandfather. His grandmother used to do blackened catfish with cornbread and coleslaw. Here's a recipe from the National Cookbook - 1856 for catfish
From Breakfast, Luncheon & Tea - by Marion Harland - 1875 Here's a classic chocolate cake recipe coupled with a frosting recipe from the 19th century. Very simple, but sounds yummy.
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1861) (from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1862) (from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1863) (from Godey's Ladies...
As a nod to the thread on cocktails for the Victorians - here's a bit on making spruce beer at home with instructions for mead - Dodgeville Chronicle, July 17, 1868 (Dodgeville, WI)
Antique Photograph Cabinet Card of Wedding from Duluth, MN (c.1890s) This recipe for “Ohio Wedding Cake” comes from Miss Beecher’s Domestic Receipt Book, published in 1846. It calls for almost the exact same ingredients and proportions as Lydia Maria Child’s 1830s recipe, but the instructions...
Stumbled upon a period recipe for potato chips from Ann Smith's Practical & Economical Cookery - 1858. I never pictured people in the 19th munching on chips, but then again this is an English based cookbook and we know chips go with fish.
Goodness! What a unique recipe it is. For those who might have trouble navigating the online version of the book here's a screen shot. Not sure how you would accomplish that in modern baking...hmm...must think on it as it does sound yummy! Miss Beecher's Domestic Receipt Book published 1846
A recipe from the Eagle (Brattleboro, VT), April 29 1850
From The Cooks Guide & Housekeeper's & Butler's Assistant by Charles Francatelli published in 1863 this interesting period recipe for Scotch Bread It's one of those one pound of each kind of ingredients type of recipe. Mind you Francatelli was chef to Queen Victoria, so I imagine he was...
From Wytheville Dispatch, of Wytheville, Virginia, November 18, 1863
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1861) (from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1863) (from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1864) (from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A...

Newest Receipt Posts