Your favorite "Secret places" and a 20th Maine Company B Monument ?

Ohhhh. Rats! Another thread it's a shock when it's ended. You always hope the Gettysburg addicts add theirs here and then Pam keeps going. It's not a good thing to admit, Gettysburg's my Tom and Jerry's Chunky Monkey- large spoonfulls of it cure anything. A place where 50,000 plus individual stories became casualties ? Something wrong there.

Virginiaworm, don't go anywhere, please? Where in heck did that chilled wine and Sickles story come from? Our infuriating general we'd love to throttle drinking a chilled glass of wine in the middle of this particular battle, gosh, only Sickles- ok, maybe Pleasanton if he'd been around.

Wallyworm, welcome to the forum. I sincerely hope you keep coming back, what a great thread you started to introduce yourself, thank you! I've been to Gettysburg quite a few times, only a few with the experts though. It would be tough to pick a favorite spot- would lean towards East Cavalry Field now it's been walked in chilling clarity. Eric Wittenburg and his wife Susan brought home the book he wrote he wrote with a CWT tour, crazy good. There's a thread on it here which would be much more helpful than anything I could explain.

I don't know. Have some photos of Sachs Bridge with large orbs.... . Just sayin'.

First of all, welcome!

I am lucky enough to be able to visit Gettysburg about once a month, more in the summer (I am a teacher), and have done so for years. So not only have I gotten to know the battlefield well, but I've got my "secret places" I visit, too.

One I like to go to that almost no one else visits is Powers Hill (anyone who is a member of this site regularly knows that:smile:). I think I have run into one or two people there at the same time I was, over the last few years.

I also like to hike to the top of Bushman Hill--again, almost no one there, unless @Eric Wittenberg is around. I also visit Menchey's Spring, the Bliss Farm, the Acheson Rock in the Trostle/Weikert farm woods, the Cobean Farm, the Fuller monument in Rose Woods, and the God Tree on Upper Culp's Hill. All of these are virtually empty usually. And then there's Lost Avenue, which I visit a couple times a year. I've never met anyone there, though I've run into Dean Shultz on my way there.

The 20th Maine Co. B monument: park at that little lot next to the other 20th Maine monument, walk out the paved path until you're about parallel with the 20th Maine monument on your left. There should be an unpaved path on your right that heads roughly diagonally from the 20th Maine monument. It might be covered with leaves at this time of the year, but if you head in that general direction, you'll come to a rock wall, and the Co. B monument is facing the wall.

I bet you and I have "seen" each other somewhere along the line. There are a handful of folks that I recognize when I go out there because they're out there as often as I am. Next time you're there, look for a little woman in a silver Hyundai Tucson with a GBG sticker on the bumper--that'd be me!

Rainy sunday morning here in DC, so I stumbled onto this this thread. Now I have a fun little hobby today ... To look up all these fav little places you listed!!! Thanks ;-)

I really enjoyed reading all the comments from fellow Gettysburg aficionado's. I have a relentless pursuit of anything Gettysburg.

Just to clarify my position. My favorite secret spot is the Henry Fuller monument. Walking down the old trolley line in the Rose Woods then veering off into the woods to the Fuller marker is a pure joy. I particularly like markers to individuals. It really is something I connect to..

Now my favorite area of the battlefield is walking the fence line in the Rose Woods that border the Rose Farm. I have read that no farm in North America drank as much blood as the Rose Farm did on July 2, 1863. This is not a secret area but for some reason I really connect with this area. I also love trying to find the infamous rocks in that area that so many historic photo's were taken at.

Obviously there are do many areas on the battlefield that becons me. Walking Stone & Meredith Avenues has always been another favorite of mine. Walking down to Willoughby Run always is fascinating. Imagining what the poor souls of the 24th Michigan and the 26th NC endured always lures me back to that area.

I plan to visit the Battlefield again in early December. Seeing the National Cemetery after the wreaths are layed is so compelling.

I am still confused on the 20th Maine company B path. I visited that marker probably 25 years ago. Last year I took two coworkers for a day tour. We stopped at the small parking lot below the 20th Maine monument. I took the visible trail. Shortly into the walk back, I recall a small trail that intersected that main path. I continued on the main path which had mulch on it as I remember. We were short on time and I don't know if I didn't walk far enough on that trail or if I should of turned right or left on that small intersecting trail. I am a bit confused on which is the correct path.

Thanks for all the great comments. I am off work due to a health issue so I am doing a lot of Gettysburg research.

Add this, although it's really not a secret place: East Cavalry Field. Each time I go out there, it's me and maybe two or three other people I see, and most of those are runners, walkers, or short-cutters--not CW folks!
Every time my wife and I have been to Gettysburg the first place we go to is the East Cavalry field. Its where her GG Grandfather fought with the 5th Michigan Cavalry. And your right there is hardly ever anyone there.

I am still confused on the 20th Maine company B path. I visited that marker probably 25 years ago. Last year I took two coworkers for a day tour. We stopped at the small parking lot below the 20th Maine monument. I took the visible trail. Shortly into the walk back, I recall a small trail that intersected that main path. I continued on the main path which had mulch on it as I remember. We were short on time and I don't know if I didn't walk far enough on that trail or if I should of turned right or left on that small intersecting trail. I am a bit confused on which is the correct path.

Thanks for all the great comments. I am off work due to a health issue so I am doing a lot of Gettysburg research.

If you park in the lower lot and you walk the visible trail that heads east between the 'tops' you will not have to go far.
At this time of year with no leaves on the trees you could probably walk about 50-75 yds and then look to your left. You'll see the stone wall before you see the stubby little marker. The little trail you mentioned to your left was probably the one you wanted.

But I think Pamc153 gave a good suggestion also which is to just walk to the regular monument and just walk east from that monument about 100-150 yds. Hard to see the little footpath in the fall because both trails tend to be covered in leaves.

Last edited:
Heres a pic. Hessler probably doing a little research while putting his book together. A little off the beaten path.
http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/sick...-with-licensed-battlefield-guide-jim-hessler/

Thank you very much! Had not realized that is where Sickles was taken to the hospital! Well, not a Sickles fan but it's a hugely interesting part of the Gettysburg story. The guide pointing out things like this is the window of the room where Sickles was taken- that's the kind of trivia which flattens you when you go there.

Mine is no secret and usually plenty of people around, me and Old Peter seem to like it all the same. I really do need to start seeking out this seldom seen locations, I'm sure there are tons of very cool plaques and monuments I haven't seen.

FullSizeRender (15).jpg

First post as I just joined. Very frequent visitor to Gettysburg as I live in western Pa.

Since I visit Gettysburg at least once a year, I love finding infrequent visited sites. My favorite is the Henry Fuller marker in the Rose Woods. It can be found east of the old trolley line in the Rose Woods. I also like walking around in the South Calvary field area. I can't remember ever seeing anyone down there during any of my visits.

What is your favorite Gettysburg secret location?

Lastly, I visited the 20th Maine company B monument years ago. However my last visit, I couldn't find it. I parked in the small parking lot below the 20 th Maine Monument. I took the trail behind that parking lot but I didn't find the stone wall and the monument. I recall small trails branching off that main trail shortly after the start of the trail. Any tips in finding the Company B monument are appreciated.

Many times I visit the battlefield on day trips only and I need to spend my time efficiently. This becomes an issue for me as I love these secret places but they take time to find. Thanks all.

I was at Gettysburg today and took some pictures to help you get to the 20th Maine Co. B marker.

Park in the little lot below the main 20th Maine monument. When you look uphill, the monument should be like this:
image.jpg

Walk on the paved walkway to the left for about 15 yards and keep looking to your right. There will be a faint but noticeable path in the leaves on your right--the key is to look for the "no horse trail" brown and white sign (look closely--right in the middle of the picture):
image.jpg

Turn right onto the path.
image.jpg

You'll see the little monument at a stonewall eventually:
image.jpg

I know this probably doesn't qualify as a "secret spot" but I love the Longstreet Monument on W Confederate Ave. It is on the main drag of the auto tour however if you're listening to your tour or looking out to your left across the field, it is very easy to drive by. It is a nice little spot to stop for some lunch too.
Photo Nov 04, 12 12 09 PM.jpg

I think i need to get a "secret spot." Some of the spots mentioned here I have never heard of. But thats not a surprise to me since the battlefield is so large and its larger really then the NPS borders. On a more recent trip earlier this month, when I went on a whim, I did notice roads off the tour routes in several areas. So there is much to explore, way more than I had time for in my 6 hour time limit. But Culps Hill has been quiet in my experience. And if you venture around on the hill, its even quieter.

I wanted to go to Powers Hill, but was in a rush and drove by but missed parking, so kept going. Just means I have to go back. And I have sadly never been to the Cavalry Field. I am pretty sure most non-CW folks dont even know a battle took place there.

I think i need to get a "secret spot." Some of the spots mentioned here I have never heard of. But thats not a surprise to me since the battlefield is so large and its larger really then the NPS borders. On a more recent trip earlier this month, when I went on a whim, I did notice roads off the tour routes in several areas. So there is much to explore, way more than I had time for in my 6 hour time limit. But Culps Hill has been quiet in my experience. And if you venture around on the hill, its even quieter.

I wanted to go to Powers Hill, but was in a rush and drove by but missed parking, so kept going. Just means I have to go back. And I have sadly never been to the Cavalry Field. I am pretty sure most non-CW folks dont even know a battle took place there.

There are lots of places that aren't formally part of the battlefield that are still connected to the battle, as roads the troops used, as hospitals, etc. There is Hospital Road, with markers and houses that were used as Union hospitals, and one the other side of the field (Day 1), there is Cashtown, and Herr's Ridge and the Harmon Farm on the old country club land. North of town there is Jones Avenue and the Cobean farm, and the Josiah Benner farm on the other side of Rock Creek. And those are just off the top of my head. That doesn't include the retreat route, like Monterrey Pass.

The way to learn about these places is to ask the locals, ask the experts (like @Eric Wittenberg), and drive around outside the battlefield itself when you have time. Sometimes, when I'm out in Gburg, I spend more time off the field than on.

Mine is no secret and usually plenty of people around, me and Old Peter seem to like it all the same. I really do need to start seeking out this seldom seen locations, I'm sure there are tons of very cool plaques and monuments I haven't seen.

View attachment 85791
He needs to be put up on a pedestal were he belongs! Love the man. Hate that Statue. It's the one we have I guess, so we'll keep it. Still, he deserves better. Go place to start the battle tour tho. It starts like this: Had Longstreet been listened too this monument would be closer to D.C....

Donna

Thank you for the welcome. I have been a Gettysburg addict for years, but I never joined this forum until recently. Since joining I make daily visits and read every post (some 2-3 times).

I posted this thread months ago and now reflecting on the latest posts, I would rephrase the secret spots, to Gettysburg locations that have a special meaning to me. I enjoy and marvel at stops such as those related to Pickett's, Pettigrew and Trimble's charge and repulse. But when I stop at the Virginia Monument, The Angle, Copse of Trees etc, I just can't get that personal feeling like I do in other areas of the battlefield.

But I have a special connection to other places on the battlefield. I don't know why they evoke so much emotion to me but they do. The Henry Fuller marker has always been a place that takes me to July 1863. I touch his marker and close my eyes and I swear I can hear the battle.

Likewise, Herbst Woods area (especially around the 26th NC & 19th Ind and 24th Mi monuments) is particularly appealing to me. So is the walk down the Culp's Hill to see the 66Th Ohio flank marker, the walk to see David Acheson's rock, and the Rose Farm area is so important to my Gettysburg "soul ".

Gettysburg Greg's posts had me pining to visit the Split Rock area. I spent a lot of time there on my last trip. How could rock outcroppings evoke such personal emotion? But they sure do.

Likewise, the 20th Maine Company B marker brought special meaning to me when I first found it just after the Gettysburg movie release. It must of been '94 or '95 and I wanted to spend time at the 20th Maine monument. Despite the hype of the 20th Maine in the movie, I felt much more attachment to the Company B marker than other nearby monuments. In a recent Gettysburg visit, I walked up the paved walkway too far and I couldn't find it, Thanks to Pam's post, I knew I had to find that no horse trail marker. It was special seeing it again.

I keep getting picture posting error messages so here are links to my Flickr account from my March visit. Feel free to view my other Pics of Italy, Germany, Austria, and my beloved state of Pa.

20th Maine Co B
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55056358@N04/25246518929/in/dateposted/

Split Rock
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55056358@N04/25588389336/in/dateposted/

D.A. Rock
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55056358@N04/25588389176/in/dateposted/

I really want to go to Neill Avenue. I have never been there.

Pam, I am with you on the many sites outside of the battlefield itself. I always turn off route 30 just past Mister Ed's to drive past The Cashtown Inn. That place is special to me too. Imaging sitting on that porch watching 50,000 or so soldiers marching by. I want to go to the Gettysburg campaign's battle sites on the march to and from Gettysburg.

So little time, so much to see. How cool is that to say. I first visited Gettysburg in 1966 as a field trip in Jr High. Since the late '70's I have been making 1-3 trips per year. Since the mid '90's I have been making 2-4 trips per year. And I still want to go back. I swear I know every tree driving along route 30!

Back