NF Your Favorite Robert E. Lee

Non-Fiction

JoeWheeler

Private
Who is your favorite R. E. Lee in films and why? Mine would have to be Robert Duvall in "Gods and Generals." I believe he looked to me the most like Lee and when I first saw him in costume it looked as if Lee had come back to life. I also happen to believe he is one of our greatest character actors of our time and although he was born in San Diego, CA he grew up in Maryland. As a southerner one of my pet peeves is fake southern accents. Robert's accent, in my humble opinion, is one of the best accents for someone not born in Dixie.
Robert as Lee.jpg

Robert Duval certainly looks more like Lee than Martin Sheen. I think both performed well, although Sheen had considerably more screen time. You're right about Duval being a great character actor. When you can portray either Robert E. Lee or Joseph Stalin, that's talent.

Not familiar with any other film depictions of Lee, aside from a short appearance in North and South, played by an actor I was otherwise unfamiliar with.

I remember watching Cale and Bobby Allison going after each other in the infield. That was real racing back then! I have often wondered if the speech Lee made to Longstreet in "Gettysburg" about having to "destroy the army that we love" was a little Hollywood license or something Lee actually said. Perhaps one of my esteemed compatriots on this wonderful forum has that answer.

It's a little insulting to call Duvall a "character actor." It implies that he isn't quite up to the big dramatic movie roles given to genuine stars. I don't that that's the case with Duvall. As far as I am concerned, he is a full-fledged star.

It's a little insulting to call Duvall a "character actor." It implies that he isn't quite up to the big dramatic movie roles given to genuine stars. I don't that that's the case with Duvall. As far as I am concerned, he is a full-fledged star.
Good point! I have enjoyed him in everything I saw him in and he has the awards and accolades to back your point up. I just have a hard time remembering him in something besides a western or a military role. About the only one I can think of at the moment is "The Apostle." And I enjoyed that one too.

Good point! I have enjoyed him in everything I saw him in and he has the awards and accolades to back your point up. I just have a hard time remembering him in something besides a western or a military role. About the only one I can think of at the moment is "The Apostle." And I enjoyed that one too.

Well, there was that role in The Godfather.

A lesser-known one that I've always loved is Tender Mercies.

I write here only to add to any praise for Robert Duvall. Mr. Duvall is a gentleman and an incredible artist. Did you know that he wrote, directed, starred in, and funded his movie The Apostle, which is one of the best (and most sympathetic) movies ever made about religion in the Deep South? And Tender Mercies - wow, what a film.

And let's not even get started on the greatness of Lonesome Dove :smile:

My favorite is one you propably never heard of but I am posting a link to his bio.after you go to his bio click on the link to who he portrays and then see who looks like the General.

ahtheatre.org/america/actor_historians/david-palmer

My favorite is one you propably never heard of but I am posting a link to his bio.after you go to his bio click on the link to who he portrays and then see who looks like the General.

ahtheatre.org/america/actor_historians/david-palmer
I really admire people who spend their lives making history come alive. I would love to set and chat with Mr Palmer as I sure I could learn much from him. Thanks for the link!

Bobby D is the man. Big fan of his work. I will admit Sheen's very public political leanings always played into my opinion of him in the role. Duvall lives in Fauquier county VA and the locals there love him.

Back