Yankees On "Coffe Break"

#40,

Wilber, he still looks better than General "Kill Cavalry" Kilpatrick!

But, he is smiling which is so nice.

M. E. Wolf

rest11-X3.jpg

Wiber this is a good one. Crisp and the exposure is perfect. I can tell who has the winning hand. Can anyone else tell?

I also thinking this is early, at least pre-1863 possibly. No corps badges I can see.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh Wilber, this is fantastic! Excellent job sir!!!

More details to savor....great for my diet as well Wilber--I look at these photos rather than eat. LOL

Seems the drummer is sitting on the 'side' of his drum, the fella below seems to have received a letter. The other seems to be on watch in "support arms."

M. E. Wolf

Thanks Wil! Interesting photo indeed! It is ashame the newspaper is not legible, at least we could see what the men were reading! It apppears to my old eyes that the photo may not be a reverse immage due to the capitol letters on the page facing us are to the left like they should be. Or maybe someone printed on the photo afterward.

Mamacita! I go away for one day of Amish Market shoppin' and look what happens! :D

Wilber, FANTASTIC!!!! Just too great!! You have worked so hard and the results are totally amazing. Just wonderful. I have been intrigued by this particular pic for awhile because it does indeed show the guys just hanging out, doing what people do when they get a, well, a "coffee break"! :wink: So great to see what they are actually involved in. The guy reading the newspaper looks like the paper he is holding shows some kind of map... where the troops of both sides were that day?? Heh, maybe I'm just reading that into it. But didn't the newspapers get in trouble after awhile for publishing so much open news about troop movements? Just marvelous detail. The card came, the officer with his pipe (he's pretty cute!)... all just a real treasure trove! I will no doubt be looking at this thread, and looking at this thread again and again, for a long time.

Thank you so much!!!! :smile:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh Wilber, this is fantastic! Excellent job sir!!!

More details to savor....great for my diet as well Wilber--I look at these photos rather than eat. LOL

Seems the drummer is sitting on the 'side' of his drum, the fella below seems to have received a letter. The other seems to be on watch in "support arms."

M. E. Wolf

Whoa, Nellie! You mean you don't eat while you're doing this? Now you tell me. I just downed that double chocolate Magnum Ice Cream Bar......durn.

Thanks Wil! Interesting photo indeed! It is ashame the newspaper is not legible, at least we could see what the men were reading! It apppears to my old eyes that the photo may not be a reverse immage due to the capitol letters on the page facing us are to the left like they should be. Or maybe someone printed on the photo afterward.

I tried to blow up the paper, it was just out of reach lol I could get the letters to stand out but its just to blurred to make out the headlines :frown: Thats whats so frustrating about some of these images, theres so much information just out of reach... Its history teasing us lol

Wilber,

The original shot though, establishes that it is a newspaper rather then a map. The lines and the square solid would lead me to believe it was a newspaper.

Maps would not have that composition as the entire paper would have lines in many directions as roads, rivers, trains would travel.

The group certainly isn't Company strength though -- we'll never know if more of the fellows were off camera in a different portion of the field. However, the fun is in seeing images blown up as best as possible to discover details unknown. Always a treat sir!

M. E. Wolf

Could the man in #44 being carrying the colors , but the material is just hanging down? It looks like theres a staff in a support hanging from his belt..
Thanks for trying on the newspaper! And image in post 44 looked like colors to me as well, but now I think it is a rifle and the man flinched giving a ghost image. But like I said my eyes aint the best anymore!

Wilber, sir;

Could the man in #44 being carrying the colors , but the material is just hanging down? It looks like theres a staff in a support hanging from his belt..

I am inclined to think in #44, that it is a musket that has shifted and blurred into a double exposure sort of thing. Looking up top it seemingly looks to be a bayonet affixed to the end. The flag socket would be in front, distributed weight on the shoulder. The question arises as to why the pole of the flag is not resting on the ground and why the soldier is in the position he is in for manual of arms. In addition, the lack of the flag being held out as an identifier ...e.g. Corps, Regimental, Battalion ...even a guideon... pride of a unit would at least be a part of this picture.

Just some thoughts and opinions.

M. E. Wolf

I will just say that whoever did this, at that time, given the parameters of their stuff and tech stuff, TOOK AS GOOD A PIC as most of us today. This is about as good as it gets for the era. Just beautiful.

Wilber, sir;

I am inclined to think in #44, that it is a musket that has shifted and blurred into a double exposure sort of thing. Looking up top it seemingly looks to be a bayonet affixed to the end. The flag socket would be in front, distributed weight on the shoulder. The question arises as to why the pole of the flag is not resting on the ground and why the soldier is in the position he is in for manual of arms. In addition, the lack of the flag being held out as an identifier ...e.g. Corps, Regimental, Battalion ...even a guideon... pride of a unit would at least be a part of this picture.

Just some thoughts and opinions.

M. E. Wolf

All good and valid points and after looking again, tend to agree with you, but it does look awfully long to just be a rifle.

Mamacita! I go away for one day of Amish Market shoppin' and look what happens! :D

Wilber, FANTASTIC!!!! Just too great!! You have worked so hard and the results are totally amazing. Just wonderful. I have been intrigued by this particular pic for awhile because it does indeed show the guys just hanging out, doing what people do when they get a, well, a "coffee break"! :wink: So great to see what they are actually involved in. The guy reading the newspaper looks like the paper he is holding shows some kind of map... where the troops of both sides were that day?? Heh, maybe I'm just reading that into it. But didn't the newspapers get in trouble after awhile for publishing so much open news about troop movements? Just marvelous detail. The card came, the officer with his pipe (he's pretty cute!)... all just a real treasure trove! I will no doubt be looking at this thread, and looking at this thread again and again, for a long time.

Thank you so much!!!! :smile:
Zylphy....u got passion going....what card game are they playing? IF IT IS ONE I know from that era....I may know the winning hand. Clue.....it is NOT poker. OR....they just held cards for the photo and means nothing....to not blurr the pic ya know. Them boys holding steadfast fer at least 15 secs. Good Sun...10 secs. This a great pic. Clear...etc.

Zylphy....u got passion going....what card game are they playing? IF IT IS ONE I know from that era....I may know the winning hand. Clue.....it is NOT poker. OR....they just held cards for the photo and means nothing....to not blurr the pic ya know. Them boys holding steadfast fer at least 15 secs. Good Sun...10 secs. This a great pic. Clear...etc.

Doug, you are a dear man! :smile: I like to call my insanity "passion" too! Since the only card game I know is "Go Fish" I would be interested to know what they are playing, or at least holding still, appearing to play. The guy on the right, seemingly in the act of laying down a card, is very cool. The appearance of motion in CW pics I'd imagine is pretty rare, as they really had to think about holding a specific pose.

Back