Y-shaped Suspenders?

D.H. Hill

Private
Were y-shaped suspenders used at the time? The few period examples I've been able to find have all been X-shaped.

Regards,
D.H.

X-shaped were the most common. They were easier to make, and worked, so not many tailors and clothing manufacturers questioned the design. Suspenders (Or braces) of the period could be found in X, Y, or H configuration, and were made of cotton, cotton canvas, silk, or leather, and in just about every color imaginable. As long as they're not clip on, or have elastic (Both came in later in the century), they should be good to go. :thumbsup:

They did have elastic, it predates the ACW. Elastic was not uncommon in shoes and some childrens clothing patterns called for it. Was it common in suspenders/braces? I don't know. As to the original question of Y vs X suspenders. My wife has a period pattern for knitting a pair of Y suspenders; were they common is the question. I would look at period pics and see if you can find them.

They did have elastic, it predates the ACW.

Heh. Sorry. I meant elastic suspenders. Elastic was used in some things, I've just never seen it used in braces, or seen any advertisements for elastic braces from the period either. I have seen elastic and clips used in braces starting in the mid 1870's.

I have a tendency to look at period catalogues and ads in period newspapers like Harpers instead of examining photographs, especially on things like that. It's hard to find pictures of men in suspenders or underwear. You may try the ad route too.

I've seen them, but like johan_steele said, were they common is the question.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help. The thing is, I have a pair of suspenders I made a few years back (that are Y-shaped). Didn't think much about it at the time but after a while of seeing reenactors wearing Xs and a few originals that were also Xs I began to wonder.

Regards,
D.H.

Back