women at Gettysburg

Rikken

Private
Just watched a docu film on YouTube about the women during the civil war,at 2.50 min we see the story of Mary Tapey ?(not sure i write her name well),when seeing her photo it looks like she is wearing a sort of 'iron cross' on her jacket....similar with the cross German soldiers carried.....anyone knows more what the cross stands for?
case the link doesn't work..docu name is 'Women at the battle of Gettysburg'.

Just watched a docu film on YouTube about the women during the civil war,at 2.50 min we see the story of Mary Tapey ?(not sure i write her name well),when seeing her photo it looks like she is wearing a sort of 'iron cross' on her jacket....similar with the cross German soldiers carried.....anyone knows more what the cross stands for?
I'll guess. That was probably a Maltese cross which meant something different in 186o than it did in 1940.

How about posting the documentary you were watching?

Mary Tepe? She was a ' vivandiere ' with the 114th PA- supposedly would have combined a lot of feminine duties- but Mary tended to mostly risk her life for her regiment's wounded. Simply impervious to danger.

" In this photograph taken at the Tyson Brothers studio in Gettysburg, she is wearing the Kearny Cross she received for gallantry on the field of Fredricksburg where she was wounded in the ankle by a bullet. "

mary tepe.gif

http://www.pacivilwar.com/regiment/114thvivandere.html

I used this site because it's a PA site- have always been pretty happy Mary Tepe and the 114th PA were together.

Hello, Rikken. It is possible that the photo of Marie Tepe shows her wearing the Kearney Cross, which was awarded to her after Chancellorsville. Here is an article about Marie that provides some details about the Kearney Cross: http://www.historynet.com/fearless-french-mary.htm. I appreciate that your question has prompted me to look this up, because until reading this article, I was not aware that Marie and soldiers of the 114th Pennsylvania Infantry who received the Kearney Cross preferred not to wear it. The writer states that Marie's reasons for not wearing the medal are unknown, but that several of the soldiers declined because they believed their wearing it dishonored the bravery of their comrades who had not been as fortunate in battle and had not been recommended to receive it.

Mary Tepe? She was a ' vivandiere ' with the 114th PA- supposedly would have combined a lot of feminine duties- but Mary tended to mostly risk her life for her regiment's wounded. Simply impervious to danger.

" In this photograph taken at the Tyson Brothers studio in Gettysburg, she is wearing the Kearny Cross she received for gallantry on the field of Fredricksburg where she was wounded in the ankle by a bullet. "

View attachment 89140

I used this site because it's a PA site- have always been pretty happy Mary Tepe and the 114th PA were together.

Like your post, JPK! While I am drinking coffee to continue waking up and trying to type a coherent sentence, you have handily answered Rikken's question, and with a picture, too! :smile:

View attachment 89140

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1 KB · Views: 19

View attachment 89140

That is great! :cannon:

Back