"Wine from Civil War-era shipwreck to be uncorked in South Carolina"

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
This must have been either some awesome vintage or (more likely) some gnarly vinegar with a lot of history to it.

BTW, any word on how it went?

This must have been either some awesome vintage or (more likely) some gnarly vinegar with a lot of history to it.

BTW, any word on how it went?
Apparently not too good. :smile:

Wine from Civil War-era shipwreck uncorked in South Carolina

HARRIET MCLEOD, REUTERS

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, MARCH 07, 2015 12:16 AM EST | UPDATED: SATURDAY, MARCH 07, 2015 12:25 AM EST

Sommeliers Larry Stone and Paul Roberts, both of Napa, California, pour wine recovered from a shipwreck at the Wine + Food Festival in Charleston, South Carolina, March 6, 2015. (REUTERS/Randall Hill)

CHARLESTON, S.C. – A bottle of wine recovered intact four years ago from the 1864 wreck of a Civil War blockade runner that sank off the coast of Bermuda was uncorked and sipped by a panel of experts on Friday during a food festival in Charleston, South Carolina.

The verdict: A heady sulphur bouquet with distinct notes of saltwater and gasoline.

Read more at:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/07/wine-from-civil-war-era-shipwreck-uncorked-in-south-carolina

Last edited:
Apparently not to good. :smile:

Wine from Civil War-era shipwreck uncorked in South Carolina

HARRIET MCLEOD, REUTERS

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, MARCH 07, 2015 12:16 AM EST | UPDATED: SATURDAY, MARCH 07, 2015 12:25 AM EST

Expired Image Removed
Sommeliers Larry Stone and Paul Roberts, both of Napa, California, pour wine recovered from a shipwreck at the Wine + Food Festival in Charleston, South Carolina, March 6, 2015. (REUTERS/Randall Hill)

CHARLESTON, S.C. – A bottle of wine recovered intact four years ago from the 1864 wreck of a Civil War blockade runner that sank off the coast of Bermuda was uncorked and sipped by a panel of experts on Friday during a food festival in Charleston, South Carolina.

The verdict: A heady sulphur bouquet with distinct notes of saltwater and gasoline.

Read more at:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/07/wine-from-civil-war-era-shipwreck-uncorked-in-south-carolina

Sounds like the local wine I tried on Lanzarote when I was on holiday a few years ago,absolutely dreadful.:D

I remember some guys during college that would have probably drank the whole bottle without blinking.:D

Again I get that bar scene from No Time for Sergeants! They were trying to get Andy drunk, but he wouldn't drink enough as it was 'weak'. Finally they added lighter fluid. He swigged some and grinned. "Now that's startin' t' taste right!"

"The verdict: A heady sulphur bouquet with distinct notes of saltwater and gasoline."

Disappointing but not surprising. The saltwater would be expected, but the gasoline?

Hey! This is supposed to be a *family-friendly* forum....

WHOA! Wait a minute! Never intended that to be any thing NOT family friendly! Sorry it was taken that way!

Please protect my delicate 16 year old sensibilities. :bounce:

16 or 60, ones sensibilities are safe with me! One of the rare times my bent sense of humor has gotten me in trouble!

Does anybody else think it'll taste like vinegar?
Hard to say what it will taste like, because we don't know what the last four years of storage were like. Those last four years might be irrelevant at this point. The stuff might taste like salt water! It'll be interesting to find out.

Personally, I think that they should have just left it in a museum somewhere. It certainly wasn't going to be anything that anyone in this century wanted to drink!

2015-03-07T032500Z_326662027_GM1EB370VKY01_RTRMADP_3_USA-SHIPWRECK-WINE.jpg

Having made and drank more wine than I deserve over the years the pictures show something hardly drinkable.

This woman's reaction says it all. Either that or her Corinthian leather seat cushion dress is bothering her:wink:

Back