Williamson Derringer Engraved "II Clayton 19th Inf USA"

Martha1911

Cadet
I have a Williamson derringer and I'd sure appreciate it if anyone can help me with some information regarding the person name inscribed on the trigger guard.
I did some online research and found two possible Claytons: a Commanding Officer named Clayton: "REPORT OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR "DOVER ARKANSAS January 31 1868 Commanding officer Capt H Clayton Troops Company I 19th infantry" and another Clayton from "A Damned Iowa Greyhound: The Civil War Letters of William Henry Harrison Clayton" by Donald C. Elder III (Editor): "William Henry Harrison Clayton was one of nearly 75,000 soldiers from Iowa to join the Union ranks during the Civil War. Possessing a high school education and superior penmanship, Clayton served as a company clerk in the 19th Infantry... I have attached a photo. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• P1120486a.jpg
    P1120486a.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 277
The engraving gives no rank. So the soldier you are searching for might not be an officer.

P1120486a.jpg

I guess a good question would be if it's common to find personal engravings like this on weapons from the Civil War. Or if it was common that the soldiers carried back-ups like this.Also, I wonder if the "II" before his name could be an old way of writing "H"?

I have a Williamson derringer and I'd sure appreciate it if anyone can help me with some information regarding the person name inscribed on the trigger guard.
I did some online research and found two possible Claytons: a Commanding Officer named Clayton: "REPORT OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR "DOVER ARKANSAS January 31 1868 Commanding officer Capt H Clayton Troops Company I 19th infantry" and another Clayton from "A ****ed Iowa Greyhound: The Civil War Letters of William Henry Harrison Clayton" by Donald C. Elder III (Editor): "William Henry Harrison Clayton was one of nearly 75,000 soldiers from Iowa to join the Union ranks during the Civil War. Possessing a high school education and superior penmanship, Clayton served as a company clerk in the 19th Infantry... I have attached a photo. Thanks for looking!

Welcome, the William Henry Harrison Clayton you mention was from Troy, Iowa. He enlisted at age 22, on 8/14/1862 into Co.H 19th Iowa Infantry. 3rd Sergeant 4/4/1863, P.O.W. at Atchafalaya, LA. 9/29/1863. 2nd Sergeant 6/1/1864. Mustered out 7/10/1865 at Mobile, Alabama. He was born in PA. Died 12/18/1917. Buried Santa Anna Cemetery, Orange County, CA.

At Atchafalaya, LA the 19th Iowa had over 200 men captured. If this is your man, perhaps he was determined not to become a P.O.W. again ? Especially late in the war.

Source :
Roster & Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of Rebellion

Hello Martha1911.

Welcome to the forums.

You have a very interesting derringer.
Thank you! It's currently for sale. I listed it on Gunbroker (hope this doesn't violate any policy...) the auction ends in a couple of weeks. It would be nice if the little gun finds the right home. I got it at an estate sale in Tulsa last week along with other Civil War guns and I've been learning a lot about the Civil War doing research. Main thing I learned is it sure is nice to not have lived during that difficult time. Hope we can avoid that sort of thing in future. :smile:

I think that it belonged to Captain, later Major Clayton. I appreciate the info about him! If they haven't made a movie yet then somebody will eventually. History is amazing and to think this little derringer was the tool he needed to reconstruct the South! If the Williamson arms company is still in business they should use that in their adds... :smile:

Back