William Alexander McCain

I've researched this William A. McCain and have contacted a more experienced genealogist to help me.
This started when I found a William McCane served in the 5th Mississippi Cavalry, Company I, which is the same regiment as my ancestor. This cavalryman was either captured or fell into Union hands after he became sick. He died in Memphis prison in April 1864. This cavalry man enlisted at Kosciusko, MS.

The problem is there were three(3) William McCain's living in Mississippi. Which one was Senator John McCain's ancestor and which one was the 5th Mississippi cavalryman?

When Senator McCain traveled to Univ. of Mississippi---Ole Miss---for his first Presidential debate, a newsman asked him if his ancestors owned slaves. His reply was that he didn't think so. Well, the McCain's owned a plantation called Teoc, located East of Greenwood, Mississippi. In the 1860 Census, William McCain occupation is listed as a Physician. The slave census shows he owned 52 slaves. With this much wealth and some degree of medical knowledge, it would be very unususal for this Wm McCain to enlist as a private. He did die in the middle of the war. Some theories by genealogist thinks he died of disease. He left a widow and a 12-year old son who carried on the family name. His widow was able to keep the land. Even though Senator McCain did not seem to know the history of his family's Teoc Plantation---even though he resided in Mississippi during WW2 while his Admiral Father and Admiral Grandfather was away---the descendants of their slaves still hold reunions which is attended by other members of the McCain family.

And who was the Wm McCane of the 5th Mississippi Cavalry? He appears to have been the individual who resided near Kosciusko prior to the War which explains why he enlisted there with other members of Company I.

There is a forum that discussed this.
Here is my webpage with a brief explanation.
http://custermen.com/DixieBoys/Miss5Cav.htm#SenatorMcCain

A photo of Senator John McCain's father and grandfather taken in WW2 just before the elder McCain died.

NH%2092607.jpg

McCains.png

John Sydney "Slew" McCain Sr. (1884-1945), Senator McCain's grandfather, was a full Admiral with the Pacific Fleet in World War II and commanded the Fast Carrier Task Force in 1944-45. He died a few days after the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay. His son, Admiral John Sydney McCain Jr. (1911-1981), was a submarine commander during the war and was Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command (CINCPAC) from 1968 to 1972, during the height of the Vietnam War.

Slew McCain was born in Carroll County, Mississippi, where his grandfather's plantation Teoc was located. Photo from Clay Blair, Jr.'s Silent Victory.

When Senator McCain traveled to Univ. of Mississippi---Ole Miss---for his first Presidential debate, a newsman asked him if his ancestors owned slaves. His reply was that he didn't think so.
Laughing out loud ! . . . he didn't think so.

Classic evasive answer from a politician. :bounce:

None the less, you've got to give the McCain family credit for their military service to the United States.

Senator John McCain's Great Uncle was General Henry Pinckney McCain, Adjutant General of the U.S. Army from 1914 to 1918.

Camp McCain, Mississippi is named in his honor.
CpMcCain_Welcome_Slide1.jpg

Slide_McCain.jpg

http://ms.ng.mil/installations/mccain/Pages/default.aspx

Gosh @Karacivilwarchild . . . you're related to everybody ! :smile:

Last edited:
Back