Widow Pensions for National Guard?

CraftyMauiMamma

Private
Hello all, I'm just starting out here so I'm full of questions-I try to search the forums first and if I'm posting it's because I haven't had any luck finding answers yet :smile:
I am researching a 3rd gr grandfather from Ohio, Alfred W. Clark. Some members on Ancestry have claimed him to have fought for the Union in the civil war. I do finding a matching name for him in the NPS search, with the 170th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard).
I would like to verify if this person as my ancestor but I need direction. He was not married at the time of service but did marry later, would his wife be eligible to receive his pension? Were pensions given to all those who served or were volunteer/National Guard separate? He didn't die until 1903, what are the chances his wife would then apply? Does anyone have any other suggestions of how I could cross-check if this is the correct ancestor?
Thank you much!

There's also a plain Alfred Clark from Ohio, no middle initial.

Service Record: Enlisted in Company B, Ohio 180th Infantry Regiment on 29 Sep 1864.Mustered out on 12 Jul 1865 at Charlotte, NC.Promoted to Full Corporal on 10 Jun 1865.

Alfred W of the 170th is also listed under W Alfred.

There's also this one, filed in Ohio, in co. B 3rd Cav (US). I can't figure out where fold3 puts records for regular cavalry. Is this the right mother?

image.jpg

Edit - never mind, I found Alfred W of the 3rd Cav and he's one of the later enlistments confusingly filed under Civil War pension. He enlisted in 1899 and died 1901.

That's the only pension I'm finding. I'm not familiar with pension laws for Union soldiers, but in TN Confederate widows were allowed to apply if they had married before 1880.

Thanks, Allie. Any other suggestions about where I can find more info on him? The NPS listing has no personal information, scubas birthplace, age, anything. I don't have a Fold3 subscription yet, but thinking of getting one. Would that kind of information be listed usually?

Thanks, Allie. Any other suggestions about where I can find more info on him? The NPS listing has no personal information, scubas birthplace, age, anything. I don't have a Fold3 subscription yet, but thinking of getting one. Would that kind of information be listed usually?
Fold3 has only index cards for Ohio. Someone else may know more about where to find Ohio records online.

Back