Why is there so much false information concerning Brass framed Revolvers?

But wait! In your original post you implied there was a shortage of brass but ample iron deposits and the large smelting facility in Birmingam, AL. Which claim are you claiming? Was there an iron shortage or a brass shortage in the Confederacy?

There was no large smelting facility in Birmingham, AL during the Civil War.

There were furnaces at Tannehill 30 miles away from the future site of Birmingham founded in 1871.

But wait! In your original post you implied there was a shortage of brass but ample iron deposits and the large smelting facility in Birmingam, AL. Which claim are you claiming? Was there an iron shortage or a brass shortage in the Confederacy?
it is obvious brass was in scarce supply because Griswold and gunnison was adding copper in the melted down cannon barrels to stretch out the brass in order to make more frames.
I dont think iron got scarce until nearly the end of the war. from the very start of the war I think the human resources to build the weapons were more scarce than the resources it took to manufacture them that is one of the reasons why the manufacturersthat were only making small quantitys of the weapons because they simply did not have the manpower it took to mass produce the weapons not because there was an Iron shortage.

There was no large smelting facility in Birmingham, AL during the Civil War.

There were furnaces at Tannehill 30 miles away from the future site of Birmingham founded in 1871.
Birmingham was not Incorperated until after the war I am just using the Name of the city to indicate the location.
there were a dozen or so furnaces during the war which was producing 70% of the iron used in production of weapons until Wilsons raid destroyed them close to the end of the war and Selma was the state arsenal during the war if I am not mistaken not too sure how far Selma is from Birmingham.

Birmingham was not Incorperated until after the war I am just using the Name of the city to indicate the location.
there were a dozen or so furnaces during the war which was producing 70% of the iron used in production of weapons until Wilsons raid destroyed them close to the end of the war and Selma was the state arsenal during the war if I am not mistaken not too sure how far Selma is from Birmingham.

When complaining about other folks' inaccuracies, it is poor form to be inaccurate.

In Dean Thomas' Round Ball to Rimfire Part 4 on pages 294 and 295 (Appendix VI: Spencer Ammunition) there is the Confederate correspondence relating to their hopes of manufacturing cartridges for captured Spencers.
John W. Mallet, Confederate Superintendent of Ordnance Labs, wrote post-war "Much labor was spent, but success never achieved, in drawing the copper cylinders for small-arms cartridges".
The cartridges for Spencer, Henry, and other early rimfire, and some centerfire, cartridges were copper and not brass.

In Dean Thomas' Round Ball to Rimfire Part 4 on pages 294 and 295 (Appendix VI: Spencer Ammunition) there is the Confederate correspondence relating to their hopes of manufacturing cartridges for captured Spencers.
John W. Mallet, Confederate Superintendent of Ordnance Labs, wrote post-war "Much labor was spent, but success never achieved, in drawing the copper cylinders for small-arms cartridges".
The cartridges for Spencer, Henry, and other early rimfire, and some centerfire, cartridges were copper and not brass.
Thanks for the info I will have to get that book.

I have a couple of old copper cartridges for spencer and Henry rifles Wish I had the rifles:playfull:

Of course the Confederacy was short of iron products for the military and civilian markets. They manufactured iron products but never enough to meet their needs. Never enough iron for ironclads, never enough iron for iron rails for railroads.

But like they say, If you don't know, how would you know. And the Confederacy only had four years, not to have enough. They mark the surrender at Appomattox every year, and somebody didn't make that up.

The Railroad of the Confederacy, Robert C. Black III. 1952. p85
"An especially pressing problem was an adequate supply of iron rails. By the first wartime summer these were being rolled, within the Confederacy, by only one mill - at Atlanta - and most of the scanty output appears to have been snatched up by the Navy Department for the plating of gunboats."

More from 'The Railroad of the Confederacy.' p124

"Not a single new rail was produced in the Confederacy after 1861."

And more...

"The Confederacy had the ability to make T-rail, but not the foresight to make it. All iron that would have been used for rail was consumed in other war projects, and all rolling facilities that could have re-rolled older rail was consumed in making armor for gunboats."

Thanks for posting. Interesting to read.

I always held the thought Brass Revolvers were usually limited production, or perhaps custom produced, and either engraved and givin as gifts, commemorative, or to add a little bling for the owner.
Never thought anything of their production value or history or other reasons.

Thanks for posting. Interesting to read.

I always held the thought Brass Revolvers were usually limited production, or perhaps custom produced, and either engraved and givin as gifts, commemorative, or to add a little bling for the owner.
Never thought anything of their production value or history or other reasons.
actually most of the brass replicas Pietta or the other Italian manufacturers makes are not era accurate nor did an original even exist.
Pietta did not do their homework when they started making these so called confederate replicas they do however get close by making a brass frame Spiller and Burr and a Griswold model that has the brass frame and round barrel but is.44" the original Griswold and Gunnison revolvers were .36"Cal
They also make a brass frame Remington clone they claim was used by the south, however the south did not manufacture any kind of Remington copys nor did Remington make any brass frame revolvers.
they also make a brass frame 1851 colt copy they claim was used by the CS which colt nor the south produced
these are fantasy models dreamed up by their manufacturers.
Sad part is people will buy one of these revolvers thinking they are getting an era accurate revolver when in reality are buying a figment of someones imagination.
However they are still fun to shoot.:showoff:

When ever I bought any black powder weapons, they had to be the real deal by the real MFG.
Colt Commemoratives had to be from Colt, and I have the originals as well.
Real Remington etc.
Still have quite a collection, but I couldn't tell you much of their history, their use, and any unique takes of their place in history, other than they are authentic.

I dunno, the foreign copies are like batting with a corked bat or breast implants,, not the real thing so why bother.

When ever I bought any black powder weapons, they had to be the real deal by the real MFG.
Colt Commemoratives had to be from Colt, and I have the originals as well.
Real Remington etc.
Still have quite a collection, but I couldn't tell you much of their history, their use, and any unique takes of their place in history, other than they are authentic.

I dunno, the foreign copies are like batting with a corked bat or breast implants,, not the real thing so why bother.
some people actually like to shoot Black powder revolvers and not many people are going to be able to afford a rare collectors piece and certanly would not think of shooting such a rare piece. then you have cow boy shooting competetions and civil war reinactors that make the copys sought after.
although these revolvers are only copys they are actually very well built and accurate shooting pieces thats why people bother.

The Schneider and Glassick Confederate revolver was a Colt 1851 Navy clone with brass frame and octagon barrel.
imagesCAUIX0D8.jpg

The Schneider and Glassick Confederate revolver was a Colt 1851 Navy clone with brass frame and octagon barrel.
View attachment 7268
thanks I never even knew that pistol even existed
do you know how many were made?
was it .36" or .44"
do you know of any other southern manufacturers that built the revolvers?
still learning new stuff every day!
If I had not started this thread I would not have known
I am not here to debate as much as I am here to learn.

thanks I never even knew that pistol even existed
do you know how many were made?
was it .36" or .44"
do you know of any other southern manufacturers that built the revolvers?
still learning new stuff every day!
If I had not started this thread I would not have known
I am not here to debate as much as I am here to learn.
Why are you so angry?
You're among friends here.

Why are you so angry?
You're among friends here.
What?
I am very puzzled about your reply. I have expressed no anger whatsoever in any of my posts
however I do feel a little frustration of a fellow fourm member trying to psycho analyze me through the internet tho:thumbsdown:
I have found this thread I started to be very enlightening up to the point you tried to make it personal.
lets try to keep the discussion focused on the topic and not about me . Please

What?
I am very puzzled about your reply. I have expressed no anger whatsoever in any of my posts
however I do feel a little frustration of a fellow fourm member trying to psycho analyze me through the internet tho:thumbsdown:
I have found this thread I started to be very enlightening up to the point you tried to make it personal.
lets try to keep the discussion focused on the topic and not about me . Please

Lots of folks appear to have a degree in remote psycho analysis. Generally worth every cent they spent on it.

Back