Who was the greatest Cavalier Buford, Custer, Gregg, Stuart, Hampton, Ashby, Forrest, And Why?

Who was the Greatest cavalier of the American Civil War?

• Buford

• Custer

• Gregg

• Stuart

• Hampton

• Ashby

• Forrest

Results are only viewable after voting.
I could make a case for Buford, Gregg, Stuart or Hampton (and then have a long argument with myself)......and there are caveats of course. Buford died in 1863, so might have been even better if he'd lived for the duration. Stuart's real abilities are often overlooked because he was so flamboyant. Hampton didn't really get a chance to show his capabilities until Stuart was killed. Gregg was quietly competent and resigned before the end of the war because he couldn't serve any longer under Sheridan. Forrest is in a different category than the four I've mentioned so comparisons are difficult. The only two I can eliminate from the poll are Ashby and Custer, but Ashby may have learned how to manage his men, if he'd lived longer and Custer was one of the best cavalry officers in a fight......just too hard to pick.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but none of the choices served primarily in the Western or Trans-Mississippi Theaters as far as I know. Is that right?

You are missing Mosby, so I had to vote for Ashby, because it rhymes :wink:

Really, Turner Ashby was a fascinating individual. Single-handedly grew the 7th VA Cav to 27 infantry and Cavalry companies (the size of a light brigade pretty much), was probably the only subordinate who openly fought Stonewall Jackson and won, and he actually did a lot against superior forces; not to mention his nickname...

I like him also, but you have to admit at the beginning of the war. NO ONE out shined Stuart!

See @E_just_E above. Stuart was a professional, one reason Ashby's troopers preferred his individualistic approach that was definitely bad for unit cohesion but great for their morale. Also, he was a superb horseman according to every account and positively fearless and devoted to personal combat. Jackson protested in vain his promotion to brigadier, which made him the only general commanding a regiment!

Edit: I'm going on the basis of my understanding of the word cavalier in the title of the thread as a knightly and somewhat passe military entity and NOT as an effective commander of masses of mounted troops. In that particular case, I'd have to go with someone far less colorful like, say, Buford or David Gregg.

Last edited:
If you mean cavalier, you've got to leave out everybody but Hampton, Stuart and Ashby! Maybe down to Stuart and Ashby. They were real cavaliers, all right. Might add John Hunt Morgan as well. Forrest could never be called a cavalier, none of the swords and roses or poetry quoting type, but very effective. John Buford is a great cavalryman who went too soon but cavalier didn't enter his mind! So, my vote went for the Knight of the Valley, Turner Ashby.

See @E_just_E above. Stuart was a professional, one reason Ashby's troopers preferred his individualistic approach that was definitely bad for unit cohesion but great for their morale. Also, he was a superb horseman according to every account and positively fearless and devoted to personal combat. Jackson protested in vain his promotion to brigadier, which made him the only general commanding a regiment!

Edit: I'm going on the basis of my understanding of the word cavalier in the title of the thread as a knightly and somewhat passe military entity and NOT as an effective commander of masses of mounted troops. In that particular case, I'd have to go with someone far less colorful like, say, Buford or David Gregg.
Well I see my spelling skills have gotten me in trouble once again. I have corrected the title to reflect the correct word "Cavalier" My apologies.

I'm no expert on some of these fine cavaliers but you don't have to be an expert to give an opinion. :wink: I have always felt like Forrest's performance has been understated. Sherman hated him. That has to stand for something.

I have been keeping up with all of the Custer at the Little Big Horn posts and I would think that if you kept a tight leash on Custer and turned him loose at the right moment that he would kick arse.

All of the choices possess certain qualities that are admirable. When it comes to demonstrating superior skills as a cavalry officer performing the duties of the cavalry. Screening the movement of the army, Gathering Intelligence and Protecting the flanks of the army. I think we have two real standouts on the list. Stuart and Buford. Ashby was to weak a disciplinarian, Custer was to head strong and tended to get himself and his men into trouble, Forrest fought more like a Dragoon. Hampton and Gregg were good just not on the same level as Stuart and Buford in my opinion. The two (Stuart and Buford) sparred like two heavy weight Champs throughout the war. Toe to Toe, Blow for Blow!

All of the choices possess certain qualities that are admirable. When it comes to demonstrating superior skills as a cavalry officer performing the duties of the cavalry. Screening the movement of the army, Gathering Intelligence and Protecting the flanks of the army. I think we have two real standouts on the list. Stuart and Buford. Ashby was to weak a disciplinarian, Custer was to head strong and tended to get himself and his men into trouble, Forrest fought more like a Dragoon. Hampton and Gregg were good just not on the same level as Stuart and Buford in my opinion. The two (Stuart and Buford) sparred like two heavy weight Champs throughout the war. Toe to Toe, Blow for Blow!
War Horse Dragoon = Horse Soldier - That's exactly what Forrest was !!!

Agree. Buford was a dam good cavalry commander... but no cavalier... He focused on doing his job... not charging in with only glory as the goal...

Forrest never did much real army cavalry work did he?
(screening an army, scouting for the army and so on)

War Horse Dragoon = Horse Soldier - That's exactly what Forrest was !!!
Forrest preferred fighting dismounted and his men carried traditional infintry type weapons. If he ever Screened the movement of an army, I am not aware of it. He was hard hitting and loved to put on the skeer but a cavalry men he was not. Don't get me wrong he was very good at what he did.

Agree. Buford was a dam good cavalry commander... but no cavalier... He focused on doing his job... not charging in with only glory as the goal...

Forrest never did much real army cavalry work did he?
(screening an army, scouting for the army and so on)

He did better at that than it seems - his problem was his commanders often didn't pay attention to him or discounted his input. Shiloh - he was the only guy in the whole Confederate army who knew for certain Buell had arrived...rode around all night and finally found Hardee, who told him to go back to bed. :x3: The fact that he was surprised in battle only once shows he had excellent real time information, puts him on a level with Stuart but...Stuart had Lee and Forrest had Bragg!

Back