NF Who wants to read For Cause and For Country (Battle of Franklin) and discuss?

Non-Fiction

tellinghistory

Private
I lived in Franklin from 2000-2013 and was very involved in preservation there. I've blogged on the BoF since 2006. There are hundreds of posts and tons of content about the battle there.

I'd like to get a book discussion going about the Battle of Franklin to lead up to the 150th anniversary (30 Nov).

If you want to join in, let's read one chapter a week starting in August of Jacobson's For Cause & For Country. It would be great if everyone used the Kindle version to make it so much easier to copy/paste text we want to discuss.

I don't know if this has been tried on this forum, or if it will even work, but it sounds like fun. I'll facilitate and keep the discussion moving but feel free to be as active as you want.

I know Eric pretty well so if we get stuck on something maybe I could sway him to join in.

It would be fun if several us met up in Franklin for the 150th for a drink at McCreary's pub in downtown Franklin on November 30th.

Homework by August 1st? Read the entire book. Then, we will go week by week, one chapter at a time in discussion.

Not for the faint of heart.

Who's in?

glad to see someone else interested in doing a book chat. Have been doing this since 2004 via another group. That site is about to disappear due to the death of its owner, Dick Weeks, of www.CivilWarHome.com
So, some of us have joined together and created another site, where we can continue reading and discussing together. We have changed slightly, to include other than CW. Presently reading "The Jamestown Flood" by McCullough. Next book, starting in July, will be "Elmira, Death camp of the North" by Michael Horigan.
Now, we are only meeting on Tues, 11:00 CST, so the site would be available, for members, the rest of the time. There are some 'enforced'rules of course, and the administrator would likely have to clear the archive, each wk. or it starts to glitch up. Although he is trying to get the glitches solved.
We are interested in getting more members. One nice feature is the archive. You can leave for 2 or 3 days, and unless it is cleared, you can go back and read again, or, catch up if you missed a session.
Also, it likely people would join in with the other book discussions. Even at the 1st site, we had enough for one book on 'Sunday evenings and then on Monday nights.
???What say you??

I lived in Franklin from 2000-2013 and was very involved in preservation there. I've blogged on the BoF since 2006. There are hundreds of posts and tons of content about the battle there.

I'd like to get a book discussion going about the Battle of Franklin to lead up to the 150th anniversary (30 Nov).

If you want to join in, let's read one chapter a week starting in August of Jacobson's For Cause & For Country. It would be great if everyone used the Kindle version to make it so much easier to copy/paste text we want to discuss.

I don't know if this has been tried on this forum, or if it will even work, but it sounds like fun. I'll facilitate and keep the discussion moving but feel free to be as active as you want.

I know Eric pretty well so if we get stuck on something maybe I could sway him to join in.

It would be fun if several us met up in Franklin for the 150th for a drink at McCreary's pub in downtown Franklin on November 30th.

Homework by August 1st? Read the entire book. Then, we will go week by week, one chapter at a time in discussion.

Love to try this! Eric is a member of this site, so maybe he will join in. I do have the book version already, so I'll stick to that if it's okay. Sort of short of cash right now to add a duplicate on Kindle.

Who's in?

Who's in?
Sounds like a chatroom subject. I'm in. Read the book and met Eric a few times. In Franklin when he and Tom Carmichael spent a couple of days with the muster that Chuck and I attended religiously for a few years.

The chatroom is quite occupied from about 8 to 12 PM central. I'd suggest a daytime, weekend hour or so. Say, Sunday at 1300 cst.

Yours is a great suggestion. We need a book discussion on this board in a chat situation. Name a time and I'm in.

The beers at Mcreary's sounds like something I could be interested in. Franklin is only 9 hours. And only slightly before winter sets in.

Set it up and see what happens.

Count me in.I have the book on my kindle.also eric is a member of CivilWarTalk so maybe you can get him to chime in.at the present I am reading the recent issue of Blue and Gray magazine which is the Battle of Franklin written by eric.His website on the battle should also be looked at as well as Sam Hoods about his defence of Hood at Franklin.

I'm not sure I can do a chat version. A threaded discussion version that allows me to get engaged when I can is better, at least for me. I like being able to facilitate discussion, respond and engage whenever I can, regardless of time of day.

Plus, I was hoping the archives would always be accessible and searchable. From what little I've had time to look - being new - it seems that a serious,lengthy and focused discussion on Spring Hill/Nashville has not taken place on this site has it?

By the way, if we get enough interest in a For Cause & Country book discussion (Aug - Oct), I will try and incorporate as many of my pics and videos I have taken over the last ten years when I was living in the Franklin/Spring Hill area. I also have plenty of original letter excerpts to throw in (many never-before-published except on my blog).

So, just to confirm, I'm not suggesting a chat room style. I propose me facilitating a discussion based on the book. I'm not an expert on Franklin but having lived there for so long and knowing the battlefield itself pretty well, I think I can keep the discussion going. If I don't know something, I'll either find the answer (if time permits) or just say "I don't know."

If you're going to participate in the discussion - assuming we do this - I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself (if not already) with my BoF blog. It has a ton of content on it. When we get stuck on an issue or question I will first go to my own blog to see if I've covered it there.

Eric Jacobson (author) is a good friend but I'm sure he is swamped with all the preparations for the 150th events coming up. I stay in regular contact with him though. I also am good friends with Rick Warwick, the walking-encyclopedia of Williamson County and Franklin. I constantly tap into his plethora off knowledge too.

I'd like to get at least 10-20 people who want to seriously commit to this or else it would be hard to justify the time commitment I'd have to put in.

Some related Franklin resources for those interested (these are ones I created or maintain):
  1. Flickr gallery - contains about 80 photo sets of pics related to the Battle of Franklin
  2. Battle of Franklin Facebook Group - I started it in 2009; has 4,600+ followers
  3. My BoF blog - started in 2006; has gotten over 500,000 visits since
  4. Faces of Franklin Pinterest board - pictures of soldiers who fought in the BoF
  5. Franklin Descendants - a web page for descendants to share their info
  6. Google Map of the BoF - interactive map
  7. Self-published resources - 28 items stored on ScribD I've uploaded for FREE access on the BoF
Again, I'm not an expert, but I have a lot of experience from having lived there for almost 13 years (until recently) and being pretty involved in the preservation community. I'm interested in learning as much from you as you would from me.

Cheers!

I've read your blog for years....so I'm all in! Looks like we already have three or four. Folks, respond if you're interested. Chellers is advertising, too, for those not familiar with the book (Yes, Virginia, we did have a Civil War west of you).

I read the book several months ago in preparation for a trip to Franklin that I had to postpone. I definitely would enjoy a discussion on the book.

Another major blog on the internet is one by Brett Schulte who is also a member here but he lurks more the
an post.Well back in 2006 he posted a major about eric's book and the battle of franklin.he post this essay over thhree months and they are very long but very indepth.if we are going to discuss this book this should be a must read.I have had a problem with the web address.I will post it seperate.

Last edited:
Back