Who ( or what ) were the Zouaves?

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
5thny.jpg

painting by Don Troiani
I've had an interest in the ACW since I was about 9 or 10. One of the things that always fascinated me were these colorfully clad regiments that reminded me of the Shriners or the Mummers. Who were they? Where did they come from? What made them so special??? The following text is from the Civil War Trust website:
"The Zouave of the French Army was originally recruited in the 1830s from native North African troops but the units were soon made up entirely of Europeans. The Zouave seemed the “beau-ideal of a soldier,” as General George B. McClellan described him. They enjoyed a reputation of being recklessly brave on the battlefield, as though warfare was merely a game and their lives simply the table stakes. They were members of an elite unit with an esprit de corps which bound them together as a family, with the regimental commander known as “Father” among the Zouaves, as the family head. They were also bound together by their distinctive dress. The Arab-inspired short jacket, baggy trousers and fez were key parts of their identity.

It was apparently during the Crimean War in 1854 and the Italian-Austrian War of 1859 that the Zouaves received widespread public notice outside France. Newspaper coverage of the conflicts and illustrations in magazines like Harper’s Weekly gave the American public ample opportunity to become familiar with the word Zouave long before the Civil War began. The Zouave uniform and fame was as well known on this side of the Atlantic as in Europe, and it was only natural that there would be Zouave imitators in the New World.

Despite the successes of the Zouave in the Crimean War, it was not until 1859 that the first widely publicized American Zouave unit was formed.
This organization, the United States Zouave Cadets (a company of the 60th Regiment, Illinois State Militia), was created from a moribund Chicago volunteer company by Elmer E. Ellsworth, a young idealist with a military persuasion. Newspapers began carrying accounts of their feats at local drill competitions, and especially, of the brilliant uniforms Ellsworth had designed for his unit. One of the Cadets described the uniform as:

A bright red chasseur cap with gold braid; light blue shirt with moire antique facings; dark blue jacket with orange and red trimmings; brass bell buttons, placed as close together as possible; a red sash and loose red trousers; russet leather leggings, buttoned over the trousers, reaching from ankle halfway to knee; and white waistbelt.

Ellsworth’s Zouaves toured the Northern States challenging all comers to drill competitions, spreading their fame throughout the country, and inspiring the creation of other Zouave units. Although there were Zouave units in America before Ellsworth, it was his regiment that really popularized the style.

The original Zouave French African soldiers wore loose and baggy trousers, a short open jacket and a fez and turban for headgear. This was in actuality the dress of local Turkish and African populace. Originally the dark blue jacket was trimmed with red on the edges only. The vest was also dark blue, with red pants and a blue sash. All garments were made of cotton cloth. The turban and fez were red. While the French Zouave uniform remained fundamentally unchanged from the 1840s until the beginning of the Second World War, American Zouaves wore uniforms that ranged from almost exact copies of the original style to uniforms that were so modified as to be Zouave in name only.

The first Zouave regiment in the Civil War, the 9th New York Volunteer Infantry or Hawkin’s Zouaves, was mustered in on April 23, 1861. Other cities and states in the North and the South also saw the creation of Zouave units. One French language newspaper commented “Ils pleut des Zouaves” (It is raining Zouaves) because there were so many of the units formed in 1861. There were Zouaves present at every major Civil War battle from First Manassas or First Bull Run to Appomattox."

I am curious as to what other differences there were between the Zouaves and the more conventional soldier?

About the only thing that really set them apart from other units was their fancy clothes (which I have always thought made them better targets). As the war went on, many units traded in their Zouave uniforms for more conventional ones.

Vote Here:
Ellsworth was first introduced to the Zouaves by his fencing instructor, Charles DeVillers, a former French Zouave. When call for volunteers came, Ellsworth raised and organized 11th New York Volunteer Infantry. He specifically chose New York volunteer firemen for the job, thinking them to be the best of the best.

Aside from the uniforms there wasn't much of a difference between the Zouaves and the conventional infantrymen. However many like the 5th New York Duryee's Zouaves excelled in drill. Abram Duryee's 5th NY Zouaves have been described as one of the best, if not the best, drilled regiment in the AoP. Likewise, the 146th and 140th New York and 155th Pennsylvania Infantry were all awarded their Zouave uniforms for proficiency in drill or performance on the battlefield.

To add, Zouave uniforms at the time were nothing unusual when you take into account all the colorful variations of uniforms worn throughout the Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars, Crimean War.... Obviously those who raised these Zouave regiments wanted to carry on that tradition. They may not seem practical in a modern sense, but in 1861 camouflage wasn't the concern.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Ellsworth was first introduced to the Zouaves by his fencing instructor, Charles DeVillers, a former French Zouave. When the war began Ellsworth raised and organized 11th New York Volunteer Infantry. He specifically chose New York volunteer firemen for the job, thinking them to be the best of the best. The regiment was also eventually equipped with a limited number of Sharps rifles.

Aside from the uniforms there wasn't much of a difference between the Zouaves and the conventional infantrymen. In particular Zouave regiments there were a greater number of foreign immigrants, such as the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion "Louisiana Tigers," who were made up of many Irish immigrants and French Creoles.

The 11th New York's (AKA The New York Fire Zouaves) military career was problematic at best. They were a disciplinary disaster, were so mauled at Bull Run that they never fought in another action and were eventually discharged under a cloud of distrust as to their loyalty and fitness for action. http://myrtle-avenue.com/firezou/

Last edited:
Vote Here:
The 11th New York's (AKA The New York Fire Zouaves) military career was problematic at best. They were a disciplinary disaster, were so mauled at Bull Run that they never fought in another action and were eventually discharged under a cloud of distrust as to their loyalty and fitness for action. http://myrtleavenue.com/firezou
Not to mention Ellsworth was killed in the infamous incident at Marshall House inn before he could even lead his regiment into battle for the first time at Bull Run.

Vote Here:
One could characterize the uniforms as the victory of elan (vigorous spirit or enthusiasm) over reason. Movement attracts fire (if fire is not to be withheld). The better defined the characteristics are of the movement, the more fire it will tend to draw. Hence at least one reason for the "mauling" of the 11thNY (Hey Jed, look at them crazy fellers in the red shirts with brass buttons...).

Last edited:
Vote Here:
View attachment 44780

After checking some other sources, it seems that zouaves had different tactics than the rest of the army. They didn't go into battle elbow to elbow, they were more spread out. They manuevered at a faster pace, and their bayonet drill was different.

What sources?

It would be interesting to see how much that translated from the French Zouave units (definitely distinct from the ordinary infantry) to present in all so-called Zouave units in the US (including the CS).

Vote Here:
What sources?

It would be interesting to see how much that translated from the French Zouave units (definitely distinct from the ordinary infantry) to present in all so-called Zouave units in the US (including the CS).
It would be interesting if there where actual French Zouave officers who either where commissioned officers in Zouave units North or South or at least instructed them in the esoteric zouave tactics.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
It would be interesting if there where actual French Zouave officers who either where commissioned officers in Zouave units North or South or at least instructed them in the esoteric zouave tactics.
Leftyhunter
Actually there were several in the service of the US and they did impart their own stamp upon the Regiments they were with. I do not recall the names of the men but one was w/ an Illinois Regt and he trained his company in the tactics of the Zouve which were really nothing more than a modernization of the old Voltegier, swarms of skirmishers, concept. US & CS troops weren't really that well trained early on, some called them howling mobs and they weren't far off.

Vote Here:
What sources?

I checked out different websites ie: http://clevelandcivilwarroundtable.com/articles/military/zouaves.htm, http://philazou.home.mindspring.com/page7.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zouave, and this last one I really liked - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scprnyz/ZouaveArchive/AmericanZouaves.html.

Vote Here:
I could never understand the desire to make yourself into a moving target, as the Zouaves did. I wonder when the concept of camouflage came into being. I imagine it had to do with improved weaponry and changing ideas of the conduction of war. Can anyone help?

Vote Here:

Unless I'm missing something its sounding like the name was more common than any special drill, though Ellsworth's men certainly look like they set a good example for those who saw deeper than "ooo, flashy uniforms".

Vote Here:
I could never understand the desire to make yourself into a moving target, as the Zouaves did. I wonder when the concept of camouflage came into being. I imagine it had to do with improved weaponry and changing ideas of the conduction of war. Can anyone help?
I don't know the exact date that the idea of camouflage came to Western Armies. I will hazard a guess and say by the Spanish-American War and the Boer War the idea seems to have got on.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Back