1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Who Killed Custer

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by Lazy Bayou, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lazy Bayou

Lazy Bayou 1st Lieutenant

I have always thought that either Gall or Rain In The Face or possibly Curley killed Custer. Then I found this book Who Killed Custer by Bruce Brown with eye-witness accounts.

Who Killed Custer -- The Eye-witness Answer by Bruce Brown is a revolutionary new look at the Battle of the Little Bighorn based on Astonisher.com's 100 Voices, the largest and most complete collection of eye-witness accounts of the Battle of the Little Bighorn anywhere, in any form.

When it first appeared on the Web in 2007, Who Killed Custer -- The Eye-witness Answer set a lot of conventional Little Bighorn thinking on its ear, simply by citing the eye-witness record of the battle.

Take the circumstances of George A. Custer's death. Turns out the identity of Custer's killer has been known all along, if you listened to Little Bighorn survivors White Cow Bull and Pretty Shield and Curley and Peter Thompson and George Glenn and Jacob Adams, whose stories agree and mesh to make sense of the central mystery of the battle.

Who Killed Custer -- The Eye-witness Answer also sheds a bright new light on other Little Bighorn mysteries, such as what happened to Curley, what happened to Mitch Bouyer's body, why Custer abandoned his attack at Medicine Tail Coulee in the middle of the river, why Custer's men filed two signal volleys at the very outset of the battle, what happened during the so-called "twenty minute pause," etc. The answers are all in the eye-witness record!

Who Killed Custer -- The Eye-witness Answer also contains some of the best -- and most revealing -- maps ever made of the action at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. davepi2

davepi2 Private

interesting , as a ohio resident I will have some interest in custer and will look for it at the library. Interesting that the two worst defeats ever suffered by the american army to american indians either involved a commander from ohio or as in the worst defeat the battle actually took place in ohio.

4. Freddy

Freddy 2nd Lieutenant

So who actually killed Lt. Col. George A. Custer?

White Cow Bull an Oglala Lakota Souix warrior is considered the # 1 guy.

5. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Silver Patron Forum Host

It's also interesting that every mother's son knows who Custer is...but the man who managed NOT to share the same fate against the Comanches, Ranald Mackenzie, isn't. Even though Grant called him the best young officer in the Civil War. Pretty good recommendation, in my book.

6. Robtweb1

Robtweb1 2nd Lieutenant Retired Moderator Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Sounds like a smart man, this Makenzie and I confess to have never heard of him.

7. Lazy Bayou

Lazy Bayou 1st Lieutenant

Sounds like a good reason to buy another book...:D

8. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Silver Patron Forum Host

9. Fifer

Fifer Private

He had legal trouble as well. He got "Souixed"

10. STRI Volunteer

STRI Volunteer Private

How in the chaos of The Little Big Horn, could anyone be sure?
    Evan S Connel (Son of the Morning Star) did not name any one
    warrior.

11. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Good one. Cue the groans.

12. ole

Calling on johan steele for some eddication.

"Sioux" was a group of indigenous Native Americans that lived from Wisconsin into Montana and Wyoming. There are Dakotas and Lakotas and Yanktonai and a few other variations.

Those who curtailed Custer's career were Lakotas who were further divided into tribes (seven, I think) including the Oglala (Crazy Horse), the Hunkpapa (Sitting Bull), the Brules, and a few others that I will not look up because Shane likely has that on the tip of his tongue.

It's much like the many variations in the Apache -- Chiricauas, Membrenos, etc. (nevermind the spelling).

Besides which, "Sioux" is a generic French word. I doubt that any of them thought of themselves as Sioux.

13. Freddy

Freddy 2nd Lieutenant

Ole, I was taught that Sioux was an improper term for a Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota, but after attending many Pow Wows and asking many Lakotas; Oglalas, Unkpapas, Brule, Sans Arcs, Mnicoujou, Two Kettles and Blackfoot this question I received mixed answers. Some prefer tribal identification like Oglala, while others prefer Lakota, some even prefer Sioux, and some prefer a combination like Oglala Lakota or Sioux. It comes down to who you ask. Just like Native American and Indian. A study found 44% prefer to be called Indian.

14. Freddy

Freddy 2nd Lieutenant

A few quotes from Sitting Bull.

"Is it wrong for me to love my own? Is it wicked for me because my skin is red? Because I am Sioux? Because I was born where my father lived? Because I would die for my people and my country?"

"When I was a boy, the Sioux owned the world. The sun rose and set on their land; they sent ten thousand men to battle. Where are the warriors today? Who slew them? Where are our lands? Who owns them?"

"God made me an Indian."

"What white woman, however lonely, was ever captive or insulted by me? Yet they say I am a bad Indian."

15. ole

After a couple of centuries of being called Sioux, I don't doubt that there is some ambivalence in what name they will respond to.

Congrats for naming the tribes in the Lakota Nation, and thanks for adding the clarification.

16. Freddy

Freddy 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks. There was this veteran who was selling Native American crafts from Dakota. We had a great conversation about it. He said there was a big PC faction who disavowed Indian and Sioux as white man terms. He was proud to have served his country as a combat veteran. He said his mother always called herself Sioux and if that was good enough for her it was good enough for him. He said it was a personal choice. He could care less what terms others used, but no one was going to tell him how to identify himself. Then there was this half Lakota and half White Native American dancer who explained to my class that he would not use the terms, Indian or Sioux. As Rick Nelson said, "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

17. Dugger

Dugger Banned

Well..........Custer killed Custer. I have read for years speculation bout who killed him. Sitting Bull said it while in Canada...."Custer was a fool, and rode to his death." No one knows....and I would bet a million bucks on that! But, he had it coming. No one slaughters my children and gets away with it if I can do anything about it. AND, that is precisley what he intended to do at The Little Big Horn....just as the murdering azz had done on the Waschita couple of years earlier. Devoid of any humane feeling. Pathological. Utter narcissist.

18. TerryB

TerryB Major

Good book, but he seemed to come down on both sides of an issue in much of his analysis. Maybe he just wanted to be balanced, but I found it a bit off-putting.

19. Fifer

Fifer Private

It's a shame he didn't live see the rewards of having invented the "Arrow" shirt.

20. whitworth

whitworth 2nd Lieutenant

It had to be an Indian warrior. Custer walked into the Indian ambush, from which he was never seen again.

21. Freddy

Freddy 2nd Lieutenant

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)