Who are your most admired Civil War figures?

Georgia Sixth

2nd Lieutenant
This is just for fun. Who are the people from the Civil War you find most to be admired?

Here's my short list of six:

- Sam Houston for being one clear-headed, outspoken southerner who refused to be swept up in secession-mania, even to the point of being removed from his governorship. The South needed more leaders like him.
- Patrick Cleburne for having the courage to challenge sacred cows and promote the enlistment of slaves in exchange for their freedom.
- Clement Vallandigham for having the courage to challenge the powers that be during wartime and pay the price for civil liberties.
- U.S. Grant for his sheer determination to keep coming at problems from a different angle until he found one that worked.
- R.E. Lee for not flinching at the long odds facing him. Ever. And then accepting the outcomes with grace. Always.
- Abe Lincoln for remaining patient and faithful all those years to a wife who'd make a perfect poster child for borderline personality disorder.

Robert E. Lee because as he put it ""I fought the enemy at every step. I believe I got out of [my army] all they could do or all any men could do."

Stonewall Jackson because he showed the impact that can be made when courage, determination, and faith are focused like a laser beam.

Colonel Robert Shaw for the courage to command an African American regiment and his distaste for the targeting of civilians in war.

Vote Here:
Abe Lincoln, because he was Abe Lincoln, R G Shaw because he was so young and brave training the 54th MA which was a very unpopular thing to do, R. E Lee because he was a brilliant and humble man and a great General, Joshua L Chamberlain because of his maneuvers on Little Round Top. All the men, regardless of rank who fought in the ACW

Vote Here:
R. E. Lee.
U. S. Grant.
W. T. Sherman.
J. E. B. Stuart.
J. B. Gordon.
J. L. Chamberlain.
T. J. Jackson.
J. Longstreet.
G. Pickett.
J. Buford.
W. S. Hancock.
J. F. Reynolds.
J. B. Hood.
N. B. Forrest.

If you take Hood out, it's a very nice list. :smile:

Vote Here:
This is just for fun. Who are the people from the Civil War you find most to be admired?

Here's my short list of six:

- Sam Houston for being one clear-headed, outspoken southerner who refused to be swept up in secession-mania, even to the point of being removed from his governorship. The South needed more leaders like him.

Of course, we furnished Louis T. Wigfall to balance him out. :help:

Vote Here:
On the Confederate side:
R. E. Lee: he stands head and shoulders above the rest. No one on the southern side compares. Only Confederate who really understood what it would take to win the war.
Josiah Gorgias: The CSA ordinance chief. Considering the conditions he worked under, an extraordinary accomplishment.

There's a lot of Forrest love on the forum, but I can't get past the slavedealing before the war, and the KKK after.

On the Union side:
Lincoln. A influential world figure, as well as our greatest president.

Vote Here:
On the Confederate side:
R. E. Lee: he stands head and shoulders above the rest. No one on the southern side compares. Only Confederate who really understood what it would take to win the war.
Josiah Gorgias: The CSA ordinance chief. Considering the conditions he worked under, an extraordinary accomplishment.

There's a lot of Forrest love on the forum, but I can't get past the slavedealing before the war, and the KKK after.
I agree with you about Lincoln He was the greatest president this country ever had
On the Union side:
Lincoln. A influential world figure, as well as our greatest president.

Reactions: Lee
Vote Here:
Back