Which repro Rifled Musket is more accurate?

Freebooter

Private
Hello all,
For you that have owned and live fired repro CW Rifled Muskets, which do you think is the most accurate? I hve owned and fired several of the 1861 and 1863 Springfields, and also several Enfields by AS and Euroarms. To me the one most accurate was the 1863 Springfield which is made in Japan.

Just wondered what others thought.
Freebooter
Alabama

If you are speaking of autheticity then the Miroku M1861 is excellent; the best of a bad lot. If you're speaking accuracy of I think the older Parker Hales win that. W/ the exception of the Parker Hale most of the repros need work to shoot to the sights.

Last edited:
I've owned a P1853 3-band Enfield and a M1841 "Mississippi Rifle", both made by Pedersoli. The M1841 was very accurate. The Enfield was extremely accurate. Both were pretty "spendy" and I'm sure the reenactors here will tell you, there is a difference between a reproduction gun and one that is authentic for their purposes.

I've shot others however; such as a repro 1861 Springfield, and I would say that if accuracy is what you are looking for, you get what you pay for, as with most things. Makers like Parker Hale, Pedersoli is going to be higher quality and no doubt, more accurate, than a Euroarms or ArmiSport weapon.

Thanks y'all. Yes, I was speaking of accuracy at the firing range. I have a couple of Euroarms 1861s and Enfields, and one Armi /sport Enfield, and several of the Japanese made 1863 Springfields. While all shot ok, I liked the feel and range accuracy of the 1863.

I have a Euroarms 61 Springfield "defarbed" by James River Armory about 10 years ago. I had them put a Hoyt barrel on it with progressive rifling like the originals, something the repro companies don't do. The weapon shoots more accurately than I can aim it (that means others do better with it than I do) with my old eyes that have trouble focusing on the front and rear sights at the same time.

I suspect some of the repro. rifles are capable of similar accuracy - what will vary is how they suit the individual and the shooting intended (offhand, bench rest, short range prone, long range prone....).

Some have quite straight stocks while others have a lot more drop. Butt plate shape varies. Rearsight on the P.53 Enfield is closer to the eye than that on the Enfield Short Rifles - some find this a problem and prefer the Short Rifles. Length of pull is another variable. If there's a struggle with the rifle 'shape' or sights cannot be seen clearly, then no matter the accuracy potential of the rifle, results may not live up to expectations.

FWIW, I shot an original Enfield Short Rifle (commercial made, similar to P.61).

David

Why not go over to the NSSA board and ask that question? I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. From my experience, every one of these muskets are different and like different combinations of bullet and powder to shot to the best it can. With the glacially slow lock time of a musket compared to modern arms, technique is critical to being accurate. Come over to a skirmish and see what some of these guns are capable of.

Yes guys, I meant accuracy at the firing range. I am looking forward to shooting this years old unfired Euroarms 861 Springfield.

Well, in terms of current manufacturers, D. Pedersoli always wins quite a few medals in international black powder shooting competition. And their historical feature accuracy is quite good as a rule. The Euroarms US 1861 that you have is a good reproduction, just known for being a pound or two on the heavy side compared to originals. A few years ago Pedersoli bought Euroarms and their US 1861 is essentially the same as the old Euroarms in an American walnut stock.

If you are looking to compete, the N-SSA folks could probably guide you better than me. From what I have heard from them over the years, some still use originals or else "put-togethers" with mostly original parts and custom made barrels from Hoyt or Whitacre. I have an old US 1861 made by Mike Yeck back in the late 70s. I think Whitacre later bought Yeck's barrel making equipment.

Back