Where was the Civil War fought?

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
The American Civil War was fought on the North American continent, in what is presently the United States of America. Most of the major battles were fought within the area from the Mississippi River to the eastern shores, and with a few exceptions, within the states south of the Mason-Dixon line, the Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania being the biggest exception.

Where was the Civil War fought? History has recorded American Civil War Battles, some large, many small, in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia.

Virginia had the most battles of any state.

However, remember, this struggle isn't simply a fight between states, this a fight between families, "brother against brother" as it's said. It's not uncommon to hear stories of farm families with a mother from the Union state of Pennsylvania who is married and living with her husband, in his home state of Virginia, who have two sons off fighting the war for the Confederacy. You'd have to guess that some interesting dinner table conversations were had in homes all over the North and South.

Moreover, many of the commanding officers in both armies were friends prior to the war. This war was fought as much in the hearts and minds of the men fighting, as it was in the forests and fields of this great nation.

The 10 Biggest Battles of the Civil War Are:
  1. Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania
  2. Battle of Chickamauga in Georgia
  3. Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia
  4. Battle of Spotsylvania in Virginia
  5. Battle of Antietam in Maryland
  6. Battle of The Wilderness in Virginia
  7. Battle of Second Manassas in Virginia
  8. Battle of Stone's River in Tennessee
  9. Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee
  10. Battle of Fort Donelson in Tennessee

Hm. What are the criteria for biggest? Numbers engaged?

I pulled casualty numbers from the Wiki for that, but I'm not married to that list, I was originally thinking it should be top 20 Civil War events and include Fort Sumter, Hampton Rhodes (Battle of First Ironclads), Appomattox.

Hm. Seems to me the "Seven Days" on the Peninsula should qualify in some way, as should Vicksburg and the siege of Petersburg. :: thinking :: Difficult to come up with a definitive list off the cuff, that's for sure.

Back