What's your favourite unit of the ACW?

The 44th GA volunteer infantry reg.
Company C was from Clarke County (now Clarke and Oconee), so they are hometown boys for me.
They joined up during the call for new troops in early 1862. It was join or be conscripted at that time. Early volunteers where in for a year, and the year was up. The Confederate government felt they had to resort to conscription to fill the ranks, but many volunteer regiments were formed at that time.
They entered the Seven Days battle, their first, with 536 men and left with 70 men still standing.
They went on to fight at Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Antietam, 1st Day of Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Cedar Creek, Siege of Richmond/Petersburg, Fort Steadman and were there at Appamattox. That's an impressive run.

16th Georgia Infantry is my number 1 followed by the 18th Georgia, 24th Georgia, Cobb's Legion, and Phillip's Legion. I don't know why but I had a huge concentration of ancestors in those regiments despite them recruiting from different areas. These 5 regiments then ended up brigaded together in Wofford's Georgia Brigade in the ANV.

Hey there! Which unit of the Civil War do you admire the most, and why?

Once again, I'm being partial :

The Confederate 19th Tenn Infantry and the Union 1st Tenn Cavalry, were made up of men from the same counties in east Tennessee, in some cases were probably neighbors, but with different loyalties.

The 19th Tenn took part in every battle and campaign with The Army Of Tennessee except the Battle Of Perryville, Ky.

The "home-grown" Yankees of the Union 1st Tenn Cavalry would proudly state at the end of the conflict, the only field they left in the rebels control, was bloody Chickamauga.

Last edited:
The Stonewall Brigade, they were so heavily involved in so much of the "excitement" and my gggrandfather was a member from the beginning (4th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Company C Pulaski Guards).
I was going to say 4th VA Infantry as well. One of the regiments that made up the infamous Stonewall Brigade and was in the middle of almost all the major battles in the eastern theater. My GGGrandfather was a member of Company A, Wythe Grays. He was wounded at Mine Run and then lost his arm at Gettysburg. They won glory on many of field and were decimated at Spotsylvania Courthouse where their regiment basically ceased to exist after the battle for all intents and purposes.

43rd Va. Cavalry Battalion = MOSBY's PARTISAN RANGERS. Because they were here, there & everywhere, and prolonged the life of the Confederacy by diverting much of Grant's strength, and during the last winter of the war they were Supreme in Western Va. and they Never Surrendered !

I wouldn't say that I admire them but during the CW those that were involved in guerrilla warfare hold the biggest fascination for me. I find them fascinating because they were led by men that operated outside the recognised rules of warfare. I mean who doesn't enjoy reading about Anderson, Lane or Quantrill.

I wouldn't say that I admire them but during the CW those that were involved in guerrilla warfare hold the biggest fascination for me. I find them fascinating because they were led by men that operated outside the recognised rules of warfare. I mean who doesn't enjoy reading about Anderson, Lane or Quantrill.
Would that be James Lane, who was one of the most infamous member of the "Jayhawkers", Pro-Union Partisans who operated in Kansas ?

Units and unit histories are one of my favorite topics, so I have many favorites.

Top would of course have to be Hood's Texas Brigade: 1st, 4th, and 5th Texas Infantry, along with the 18th Georgia and Hampton's Legion, later replaced with the 3rd Arkansas Infantry.

Also a fan of Cockrell's 1st Missouri Brigade, the 1st and 2nd Louisiana brigades in the ANV, Granbury's Texas Brigade, Govan's Arkansans, and many others.

And as for why, well I don't have any personal connections but I've always been fascinated with Hood's Texans ever since I was a child. They represented the Lone Star State in Lee's army and forged an impressive record throughout almost every major campaign in the East.

The other brigades mentioned were also some of the best units to come out of the Trans-Mississippi and their respective states. Cockrell's Missourians were perhaps THE best Confederate brigade in the Western theater; the two Louisiana brigades also forged an impressive record in the ANV; and Granbury's Texans and Govan's Arkansans were both in Pat Cleburne's Division.

Company C was from Clarke County (now Clarke and Oconee), so they are hometown boys for me.
They joined up during the call for new troops in early 1862. It was join or be conscripted at that time. Early volunteers where in for a year, and the year was up. The Confederate government felt they had to resort to conscription to fill the ranks, but many volunteer regiments were formed at that time.
They entered the Seven Days battle, their first, with 536 men and left with 70 men still standing.
They went on to fight at Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Antietam, 1st Day of Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Cedar Creek, Siege of Richmond/Petersburg, Fort Steadman and were there at Appamattox. That's an impressive run.

The 44th was together in Ripley's Brigade with the 3rd North Carolina in 1862, which is of special interest to me because of a family tie. The Brigade was badly shot up at Seven Days and at Antietam.

Ripley was removed from command in the Army of Northern Virginia after the Maryland campaign, either for incompetence, or cowardice, or both.

The combat history of the 44th was very similar to that of the 3rd North Carolina, where my wife's ancestor was a junior officer. He saw a lot of the fighting, and was wounded four times.

Back